Stainless steel pans: I read the FAQs but still need help

Old 03-30-06, 06:03 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stainless steel pans: I read the FAQs but still need help

Howdy-

I have boiled the water out of one stainless steel sauce pan and my housemate had some sort of accident with the stainless steel skillet. Both pans have 'burn marks' on the inside.

Obviously the FAQs say 'don't do that' (duh) but that don't offer much help for catastrophic situations like this one. It was nice to learn not to use steel wool but now I'm simply stuck - can anyone recommend a safe abrasive cleaner? Soft Scrub? Comet Powder?

Also - sure, it's obvious that overheating the pans can also cause rainbow discloration on the outside of the pan, too, but the FAQs don't say if that can be removed or not. Anybody know?

Old 03-30-06, 07:53 AM
T
For general cleaning, soap and water are all that is needed. For burned on foods, presoaking in hot water and detergent or ammonia and hot water solution and the use of a nonabrasive scrubbie are recommended. More abrasive cleaners will tend to affect finish. Never use abrasive cleaners on outside of stainless cookware because it will affect finish. Discoloration from high heat tends to be permanent.

Old 03-30-06, 11:58 AM
C
"Non-abrasive scrubbie" - I know what you mean, but that's almost an oxymoron b/c when i think of 'scrubbies' I think of the abrasive side of a dual-textured sponge. Is this what you mean? I've found scotch pads to be too abrasive. Know any brands that are safe

The stains on the sauce pan were specifically from steaming brocoli and letting it boil dry. Thus, it wasn't just pure water in the bottom. There is clearly a series of black spots (some darker than others) that aren't coming off in soap and water. The other pan (the skillet) was soaked for a couple of days and scrubbed, but it's as if the black is fused onto the pan.

I'll try the ammonia for sure; in the meantime, if the above clarifications bring any more suggestions, thank you in advance for providing them!

-Chris

Old 03-30-06, 12:40 PM
try a microfiber cloth or sponge..they have more of a fiber count to them without being too abrasive..rinse well after ammonia...stay away from acidic cleaners as they will damage the stainless

Old 03-31-06, 07:38 AM
T
The white Scotchbrite pad is nonabrasive. There are also the plastic mesh scrubbies available. Baking soda and water paste is also nonabrasive and effective.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: