puppy pee smell in carpet

Old 04-17-06, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question puppy pee smell in carpet

I was wondering is there anything I can use to get the urine smell out of my carpet I have tried using my shampoo machine but it only seems to bring the smell back up any ideas???

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-06, 06:39 PM
I've been told that the "Urine Gone" advertised on TV works, and is available at Wal-Mart. My mom and uncle have both used it.

Old 04-18-06, 08:00 AM
Enzyme digester cleaners such as the one suggested or other is recommended for pet messes. Enzyme cleaners are sold at pet stores as pet mess cleaners and are marketed under a variety of names such as Out, OdoBan, Nature's Miracle and others. The secret is to keep the carpet damp with cleaner to give enzymes times to digest odor.

Urine that has settled into pad is beyond the reach of carpet surface. Urine that has settled into subfloor is also inaccessible. Worst case scenario is to remove carpet and pad and seal subfloor. Urine odor is most noticeable on warm humid days. Urine settles not only downward but outward three to five times the size of affected area on surface. Solving urine odors in carpet can be quite challenging.

Old 04-18-06, 10:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
We always do the same thing with pet stains:

Pull up the carpet.
Inspect the pad - if the urine penetrated the carpet and into the pad, the pad must be replaced.
Clean and seal the floor if urine penetrated the pad and into the flooring below.
Clean both sides of the carpet and tack it back down after it's dried.

Old 04-19-06, 07:29 AM
Question odoban use on carpet

what is the best way to apply odoban on carpet spray,sponge,etc.if by spray do I need to rinse back over it with a carpet shampooer I have odoban here and it says to mix with water

Old 04-19-06, 07:47 AM
heres a good tip..for this case forget the DIY carpet machine..apply the odoban as directed..take/borrow a wet/dry vac...after you let the odoban dwell in the carpet 10-15 mins..take the hottest water possible pour onto the area and wet vac it out the best you can..if there is padding underneath the carpet..press the hose down on the spot as hard as you can or the machine can take..this will help pull the moisture and urine from the padding

if the carpet doesnt have padding use gentle pressure when wet vacing as you will cut the air flow too far down and it will lose vaccum....make sure you take the time to wet vac it out as best as you can..leaving too much moisture in the carpet will only compound your problems.

a good general rule of thumb is...if the spill was about 8 oz of urine..it will take at least double that to remove it..if not more

you have to recreate the way the urine was put down

diy carpet machines, in my thoughts, lack the ability to remove enough of the water

Old 04-19-06, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
I like docduck's suggestion, but I think I would up the amount of odoban he suggested. One accident might have been 8 ounces, but the odds of it only having been one are pretty slim, so I'd start by assuming more. If this is my carpet, I would still handle it the way I mentioned in my prior post.

Old 04-19-06, 10:45 PM
i agree with pulling the carpet and pad to see whats going on under there my above suggestion is based on a topical cleaning only...the 8oz was a reference point