keeping polished nickel faucet looking good

Old 07-06-06, 04:53 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
keeping polished nickel faucet looking good

We have a brand new polished nickel faucet in our guest bath.
My brother was over last weekend and left a spot of toothpaste or shaving cream on the spout, and there is a permanent mark on it.
I tried a product called Gel Gloss that the manufacturer recommended, but it won't get it out.
Any tricks/tips on cleaning polished nickel and protecting it?
Thanks.
Dave

Old 07-06-06, 12:14 PM
T
Check your finish warranty and contact the manufacturer. Some faucet finishes are coated, and some manufacturers have better coatings and warranties. Faucets that are not coated tend to tarnish in time or with exposure to chemicals more quickly. Some manufacturers offer lifetime warranties on finishes.

Without knowing what brand of faucet or type of coating, if any, on your faucet it would be difficult to make a recommendation. Of course, abrasive products and harsh cleansers should be avoided. Wiping faucet, countertop, and sink dry after each use would provide the ideal protection. It is easy to wipe the faucet after drying hands. For care and maintenance, most manufacturers recommend cleaning with mild soap and water and keeping faucet wiped dry.

You might try gently rubbing the affected area with a little baking soda on the corner of a damp cloth. Then, clean and seal with Gel Gloss. Gel Gloss acts as a polish and a wax to keep surface sealed to protect against water spots and provide sheeting action.

Old 07-06-06, 03:07 PM
D
The baking soda didn't work.
The faucet was sold by Restoration Hardware and was no cheapo. I believe Newport Brass makes alot of their faucets.
Restoration Hardware says they will replace it, but I wnat to prevent this from happening again.
I will put Gel Gloss on it and tell people to wipe it off when done.
I just wouldn't think that it would be permanently damaged after 1 usage.

Old 07-06-06, 04:53 PM
T
When you get your replacement faucet, check the manufacturer's warranty. Put in a safe place along with their customer service number. You can find care and maintenance instructions for Newport Brass products at http://www.newportbrass.com/FinishCa...nce.cfm?hint=1

Old 11-01-08, 09:25 PM
A
Same Problem

I got here by searching for "how to clean polished nickel." I also have a new bathroom - with Restoration hardware fixtures. The sink faucet got a similar dark ring on it after one day of use. I've been wiping all the fixtures dry every time I use them. However, today, I needed to clean the tiles and grout. Oh my gosh! I sprayed everything down, including the nickel fixtures, and they got brown spots all over them. I thought I has permanently ruined $2000 worth of stuff. It took me 45 minutes of wiping and wiping with a soft cloth and much elbow grease to get rid of the spots. How am I supposed to live with this? There must be some way to live with polished nickel. (Had I known this about it, I would have gone with the chrome.)

Old 11-04-08, 12:16 PM
T
Newport Brass has different finishes, some with coatings and some without. Here is their care recommendations:

Finish Care & Maintenance

General instructions for cleaning and caring for your faucets and bathroom fittings.

Our faucets and bath fittings are made of solid brass and are of the finest quality. To maintain the finish on these items, pleaseo not use any abrasive cleaners, rubbing alcohol, ammonia, detergents, brass or silver polish which will scratch the surface.
Clean with a soft damp cloth.

Applying a coating of a non-abrasive liquid wax to the clean surface of the product will protect the finish.

Brass ProTech, product of Brasstech, Inc., can be used on all types of decorative painted and plated finishes. Simply apply Brass ProTech with a soft cloth and let it dry. Remove by rubbing gently with a soft dry cloth. Brass ProTech does not contain harsh abrasives.

We highly recommend using Brass ProTech regularly on items finished in Polished Nickel (15), Satin Nickel (15S), Polished Silver (25) and Satin Silver (25S).

Do not allow soap scum or minerals in water to build up on the surface finish of your faucets or bath fittings (including toothpaste). These will gradually wear away the protective coating or finish and diminish the beauty of your products.

Living Finishes and Uncoated Finishes

03W, 08W, 25 and 25S are living finishes. 03N is an uncoated finish. Depending on maintenance and use, these finishes will naturally weather and change color. Our warranty does not cover living or uncoated finishes. Finish colors can vary and change in color is unpredictable.

Thirty Finishes | Newport Brass

Old 11-04-08, 12:42 PM
A
Thank You

Yes, I did find this information on the Newport Brass site after I posted my message. I just never imagined when I was selecting a finish, that anyone would be making sink fixtures in 2008 using a metal that required such an extraordinary amount of upkeep. I feel really stupid for not knowing this.

Old 11-26-08, 11:16 PM
Nickel plate faucet fix

I too have had to deal with the nickel plating on bathroom faucets having staining problems. The fix was quite simple. Use Meguiar's cleaner wax for automotive finishes. It is clear coat safe and has not damaged the finish on the taps. Use as directed with very little pressure and 95+% of all the stains come out. It also seals against water stains.

Old 11-27-08, 05:24 AM
A
Which Meguiar's cleaner wax ?

Thank you for your suggestion. I found their site, but they have several cleaner waxes: paste, liquid, one-step. Which one do you use?

Old 03-13-09, 01:51 PM
C
I used the liquid as it was recommended as the easiest to use. Worked great. Should avoid the water stains on faucets.

Old 03-13-09, 03:07 PM
A
Thank you.

Thank you. I will get a bottle.

Old 03-13-09, 03:11 PM
A
I think it is fair that I update my original posting. Restoration Hardware was terrific and worked with me on solving my problem. They replaced all the damaged fixtures. Newport Brass also sent me a sample bottle of Brass ProTech, which is easy to use and produces great results. I have had no further problems with my fixtures, and I love the polished nickel.

Old 11-30-12, 12:10 PM
L
Polished nickel from Restoration hardware

We completed our Master Bath renovation in grand style since it is fairly small. All the fixtures are polished nickel. Your cleaning recommendations are wonderful. My fixtures are 'tarnishing', losing their original color, and going toward a pink, brown color, very subtle, kind of like old silver. I don't mind it as it makes the bathroom look like it has been there for a long time. I don't want it to get darker however, so I will try the Megular wax. I love the looks of Restoration Hardware items (not the prices) and am glad we splurged. We did have a lot of trouble with the quality of the Newport Brass 'insides' if the upgraded shower controls and had to go back to them 3 times before we received a product that would not leak. A real pain when you are under a time line. Two years later, it is still working well and I do wipe down all the fixtures each time the shower and sinks are used, a bit OCD but it does look great.

Old 12-28-12, 11:37 AM
Restoration hardware polished nickel bathroom set

This was very helpful. Thank you. I also purchased some polished nickel items from restoration hardware and Newport Brass. The soap dish in particular is so corroded with soap scum that nothing seems to remove it. It looks terrible. I'll try the above suggestions otherwise will have to bring it back to RH. Thanks.

Old 09-09-13, 04:06 PM
D
Easily Remove Stains from Polished Nickel

Hands down, NEVR-DULL (unless it's lacquered). I have a three year old Porcher shower faucet that was beginning to look a bit rough. I didn't want to use an automotive cleaner - though they have just a very mild abrasive, they're abrasive none the less. NEVR-DULL comes in a small tub of cotton batting, no abrasives. You just tear off a small piece and rub it on, buff it off. In about 10 minutes the faucet looked like new. I always keep a can of this stuff close at hand.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: