ink pen exploded in my dryer

Old 07-19-06, 06:55 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face ink pen exploded in my dryer

help! an ink pen was in the pocket of a garment and in the dryer it exploded. how can I get the marks out of my dryer and are the clothes ruined??

Old 07-19-06, 07:25 AM
high dry heat can set stains...so im thinking the clothes are a lost cause

the drum you can try rubbing alcohol and let it sit on them...just spin the drum around and work on the bottom area and spin and repeat...but im willing to guess the heat has also set the ink into the pain

may be forced to either let it go OR recoat with a primer paint that is going to be heat resistant and will not chip

Old 07-23-06, 06:41 PM
T
Wipe dryer drum with white rag and cleaning solvent like rubbing alcohol. Change rag as needed. Never pour cleaner directly into dryer drum. Continue to wipe until no more ink comes off. To assure all ink has been removed, run a couple old towels through a cycle. Any discoloration to drum will not interfere with operation of dryer. The key is not have ink come off on laundry.

Whether or not laundry is a lost cause will depend on the extent of staining and severity. Stains if heated often become next to impossible to remove. You can try blotting stains from outside toward middle with white rag and solvent cleaner to see if you have any success. Continue to blot if having success until stain is gone. Then wash in hottest water appropriate for fabric and all fabric bleach.

Old 07-31-06, 06:31 AM
J
The same thing happened to me in a day old dryer! I ended up throwing out the clothes and the dryer had run long enough to set in the stains on the tub so your best bet is to try and live with it and (of course),- blame your spouse! Good luck!!!!

Old 07-31-06, 07:42 AM
T
Ink may stain dryer drum. Wiping off ink with rag and rubbing alcohol until no more comes off and running a cycle with a couple old towels assures that ink getting on laundry will not be a problem. Residual stains in dryer drum pose no laundry problems and do not affect the functioning of the dryer.

Old 08-25-12, 10:41 PM
A
removing ink from dryer drum

I used a mr. clean magic eraser, and a mixture of some bon ami powder and 70% isopropol alchohol on the magic eraser with a good degree of success! I mostly wanted to prevent transfer of ink to future loads of clothing. I am going to assume the ink on the clothes in the original dryer load is toast... ah well, keep that pen in my ear from now on.

Old 08-26-12, 02:09 PM
T
Have you ever heard of "Goo Gone?" It removes a variety of stains. If the other suggestions don't work there's one you can try.

Old 08-27-12, 06:25 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Six year old thread......

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: