Green food coloring stain on wood

Old 08-06-06, 08:21 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Green food coloring stain on wood

Hello,
I keep my food coloring stored in a wooden cupboard. Recently, the cover was knocked off and the green food coloring stained a lot of the wood.
I have gotten most of it out with water/Fantastic, but I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on how to get the rest of it out?
Thanks,
Anne

Old 08-06-06, 09:10 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Are you sure the inside is wood? Sometimes it's laminate. If it is wood, do you know how it's finished? The surface dictates how you clean it.

Old 08-06-06, 10:34 PM
A
I'm certain it's wood.

Old 08-07-06, 07:26 AM
S
Group Moderator
Is the wood finished? If so, do you know with what - the material used to seal the wood dictates what can be used to clean it.

If it is raw wood, the stain has likely penetrated far enough into the wood that you will not be able to remove it. The remedy then would be to hide the stain by using wood stain to chage the appearance of the wood and then sealing it to prevent the same thing from happening again down the road.

Old 08-08-06, 12:51 PM
A
It's finished with dark oak stain I believe. Thank you for the replies, sorry it took a bit to get back to you.

Old 08-08-06, 01:09 PM
S
Group Moderator
I'm sorry, I didn't ask the question properly. After the stain, a protective coat was probably applied, commonly lacquer or polyurethane. Do you know whether a protective coat was applied (probably) and, if so, what it is?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: