Musky smell in bathroom

Old 09-05-06, 07:22 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Musky smell in bathroom

We have been having a recurring musky smell in our bathroom. I've replaced the toilet and gasket with no change and redid all of the caulking around the shower. We've also cleaned the bathroom from top to bottom many times.

The closest I can describe is a dirty wet tile smell or a lockeroom. It is quite frustrating.

I believe I may have some water damage under the tile floor by the shower but have not removed the tile to check. Some of the old caulk was in pretty bad shape.

Can a mold problem be causing a musky/locker room smell in a very clean bathroom?

Thanks for the assistance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-06, 07:39 PM
T
Odor is obviously coming from beneath clean surfaces. Water damage behind shower walls or beneath tile can produce odor. Urine trapped in tile grout can also cause odor. If odor is coming from beneath surfaces, surface cleaning will not address the odor issue. Until budget allows for updating bathroom, spray with enzyme digester deodorizer like OdoBan, Nature's Miracle, or other to digest organic odors. These enzyme deodorizers are also cleaners that can be used to clean surfaces and digest odor causing bacteria.

Old 09-06-06, 08:09 AM
i would say you already know were the odor is coming from...you may have water on the subfloor or in the drywall depending on were the water ran to..it may be easier to cut a hole in the lower part of the drywall next to the tub to inspect the inner wall..you can always patch and repaint if needed. If there is moisture or mold present. Since the time frame you are describing would indicate a prolonged period of time. Replacing may be the best option. Running a dehumidifer and exhaust fan may help. But if its in the wall or subfloor..it has to be removed

Old 09-08-06, 11:45 AM
H
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
You mention that you thought it my be coming from the floor by the shower. Do you have a ceramic tile shower floor? If so this may be the source of the smell. Shower floors like this should have a preslope under the pan liner. The purpose of the preslope is to direct water that gets through the tile and grout and into the mud bed to weep holes in the drain. Many contractors take a shortcut and do not put in a preslope under the pan liner. When this happens the water does not flow properly to the weep holes in the drain. The mud bed stays wet from constant use and after a while from never drying out it starts to smell like a swamp from the stagnant water being trapped in the mud bed. It may also be possible that you do have a preslope but the weep holes may be clogged, causing the same result.

Boy after all this explanation I hope you have a ceramic tile shower floor. Otherwise - nevermind.

Old 09-08-06, 12:54 PM
do you have a shower or tub with a glass door? i had this same problem years ago in our first house. cleaned it from top to bottom, but it always smelled musty/moldy. turns out, when i just so happened to run my sponge up inside the bottom track of the shower door, chunks of black muck from h-e-double-toothpicks came out of there! you can imagine my horror. i nearly threw up. apparently, there's a hollow space under there & mold just festers & grows, sight unseen but certainly smelled.

if you have a shower door, try that. mentally prepare yourself first though, for what you may discover. it's not pretty.

i don't feel so well.

Old 09-10-06, 04:07 AM
S
I think we solved the smell problem. It appears to have been coming from the shower drain. It had been running slow so after some drano and bleach, the problem seems to have gone away.

I'll keep you posted if this didn't solve the problem. Thanks for the help!

Old 09-10-06, 03:46 PM
T
Proceed with caution mixing bleach with household cleaners. Mixing chlorine bleach with acidic drain cleaners can be dangerous. Enzyme digester drain cleaners are by far safer. The enzymes digest odor causing bacteria and organic material that may clog drains. They are available in your plumbing aisle.

Old 09-10-06, 04:05 PM
S
Very good point that I should have clarified. The drain was flushed very, very well before and after the bleach was used. It probably wasn't the best chemical to use however, it did the job.

Originally Posted by twelvepole
Proceed with caution mixing bleach with household cleaners. Mixing chlorine bleach with acidic drain cleaners can be dangerous. Enzyme digester drain cleaners are by far safer. The enzymes digest odor causing bacteria and organic material that may clog drains. They are available in your plumbing aisle.