Please Help!! Does anyone know how to clean red clay out of a white baseball uniform??

Old 02-16-00, 12:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

My son plays High school baseball, He wears a white uniform with blue pinstripes. He is the fastest runner on the team therfore when he is on base he gets the signal to steal almost everytime. This leaves his uniform front and back covered in the orange colored clay, it is so hard to get out. His coach has expressed how important it is in tip top clean shape for each game. Does anyone here know of a good cleaning solution for keeping these uniforms white??? In desperate need!! thanks so much for your help. Kim :-)

Old 02-16-00, 04:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Since the coach seems to know it all, ask him for the answer.

Ted

Old 02-16-00, 08:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi Kim,

My son played baseball too. I taught him how to aim a ball for pitching after cleaning homes for years. At that time I had to use a nurf football with a sock over it to get cobwebs off tall ceilings. My aim got pretty good, so I taught him how. Sorry about the memory lane thing. Baseball is in my blood.

For the uniform, fill your sink with cool water and add a cup or two of hydrogen peroxide and throw in a handfull of baking soda for good measure. Soak the uniform for about 30 minutes. Look at it after 5 minutes or so to make sure the peroxide is not bleaching out the stripe.

Now as soon as he gets home, take some liquid dish soap and lightly rub it on. Let that stay even overnight. It will help loosen the dirt.

Mary Moppins

Last edited by Annette; 09-20-06 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-01-06, 02:19 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
mix liquid cascade in a bucket of warm water and soak overnight wash as usual

Old 08-01-06, 02:56 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Dishwasher detergent contains bleach. While it may remove the clay, I'd check it occasionally to make sure it wasn't also affecting the blue pinstripe.

Last edited by stickshift; 09-20-06 at 01:20 PM.
kathann voted this post useful.
Old 11-04-06, 02:52 PM
T
Hi Kim,

My son has played baseball for 5 years and every year we get stuck with the white uniform. The quickest, easiest and best cleaner I have found is Oxi Clean. Simply let the uniform soak overnight in hot water with a few scoops of Oxi Clean and run them in normal load the next morning. The stripes will not fade.

Brandi

Old 11-04-06, 03:02 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Soaking is the key when it comes to getting soil out of uniforms. Soil is organic. Enzyme digester cleaners are effective on organic stains. BIZ is a powdered enzyme laundry detergent that is excellent for soaking overnight or for however long it takes enzymes to digest stains. Some hand agitation may be helpful. Wash in hottest water appropriate for fabric along with detergent and all-fabric bleach (an oxygenating bleach. Chlorine bleach tends to set red clay stains due to iron content. Stains should be attended to immediately as the older the stain the more likely the challenge for removal will be greater.

Old 11-04-06, 04:53 PM
red clay might have traces of iron...in which case a rust remover would also work

Old 11-06-06, 12:44 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Good point about iron remover. Check laundry aisle for iron out or other product. If fabric is solid white, you can also go with dye remover.

Old 11-07-06, 07:29 AM
just a side note rust remover will also work on stubborn blood stains...most of the times the red left after blood is the iron in the blood

Old 11-07-06, 08:00 AM
M
Smile

Kim, I have suffered crayons going thru the dryer. I called the 800 number listed on crayola package. Not only did they provide a miracle over the phone, but sent free of charge a booklet on how to remove ink, paint, magic marker and so forth. Maybe clay provides the same service. Best of luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: