Found Mold!

Old 09-23-06, 02:15 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Found Mold!

Have found mold behind tile wall in bathroom demolition. Exterior wall so black mold on insulation paper (no plastic vapor barrier), a little on studs and all inbetween two wallboard layers. Seems as if they did green board, then cement board under tile.
Am looking at NC state websites about cleaning...seems straight forward. Is it?
Have masks, window and fan ventilation, washing clothing between sessions. Will bag and remove everything moldy from room and start cleaning. Sounds good right? Am trying to stay positive.

Thanks all!!!

Old 09-23-06, 05:01 PM
best thing to do is to determine how extensive damage is...i would remove/replace everything according to local codes

dehumidying the area will also help control growth and make for easier clean up

you may want to contact a professional...as if something goes wrong and the source of the mold remains or mold spores it may regrow

alot of liabilty there

but all in all sounds like you have a good starting point

Old 09-23-06, 05:07 PM
N
Thanks.
I feel comfortable as long as I can find moisture source (probably leaky shower/pipes) and damage doesn't go beyond where I can see.
I'm concerned if I have to worry about the felt insulation between the exterior siding and studs, or even the siding itself.

Wish us luck. Will know how big a deal it is tomorrow.

Old 09-25-06, 12:37 AM
If it reached the insulation...i would replace. See if you cant find or rent a moisture meter or scope...moisture meter will tell you were the damage starts/stops...it can tell the amount of moisture on material by touching the probes onto the surface. A scope would allow you to view the inside of a wall thru a small hole before going at it.

Old 09-25-06, 06:33 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Stating the obvious here, but make sure you have figured out the source of the moisture and fixed it before you seal this back up.

Old 09-25-06, 08:27 AM
N
That's a big 10-4 on that mitch.
Looks good around the plumbing as of right now. May have been coming through tile. Possibly from the outside in as this is an exterior wall. Only opening in wall is small window in top of shower, right up under the eave. Damage is worst about knee height and stops chest high along long wall of bath/shower combo. Tub is fiberglass garden style with lip where tile and board sat. That may be the source.

Am planning to just remove as much rotten wood as makes sense. Checking that black felt will be a top priority. I suspect replacing that would be somewhat easy if I have the studs out. Didn't want to take every layer of the house apart to fix this, but suppose I will if I have to.

Will report back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: