"Yellowy" stains on my Garden Tub

Old 09-24-06, 08:00 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy "Yellowy" stains on my Garden Tub

I have been away for the summer, upon my return I started cleaning. Underneath the jars of bathsalts, lotion, and candles displayed on my tub there are yellowy stains (not from mold or rust)

I also had a metal shelf across it, the mirror must have fallen into the base of the tub and left a perfectly cylindrical yellowy stain there as well.

I have tried bleach, The Works, Magic Eraser, baking soda mix, as well as peroxide mix.

NO LUCK!
PLEASE HELP~I love my tub and I hate to see it discolored like this. It's only one year old!...Is there anything I can do aside from having to replace the tub?

Could it be there was no sunlight there and I need to leave that area exposed?
Thanks in advance!

Old 09-24-06, 08:59 AM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If items are plastic, it could be discoloration from PVC migration. Stains may well be permanent, but do not replace the tub before trying a few other options. Fill tub enough to cover stains and sprinkle in some Oxy-Clean or oxy-whatever product and let set. Some report results removing stains with the 'fume free' oven cleaner. (Make sure it is the fume-free product because it is non-corrosive.) A paste of BarKeeper's Friend or Zud left on stains and then a little elbow grease may be helpful. Repeat as needed if stains continue to get lighter.

Assuming the tub is fiberglass, it has a gel coat. Some products have thicker gel coat than others. Abrasives are not recommended as they can damage gel coat. Boat or auto polishing compound may be effective, but be cautious of wearing away gel coat. If tub is acrylic, color goes all the way through.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: