Repair dull finish to laminate wood floor

Old 10-09-06, 04:08 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repair dull finish to laminate wood floor

Our laminate wood floor now has a dull finish. I'm sure it's from using soap. Is there any way to restore the finish? Can a polish be applied?

Old 10-09-06, 08:18 PM
T
Engineered wood floors should not be cleaned with anything that leaves a residue on floor finish as it can dull and soften finish over time. Finish should never we waxed or oiled or cleaned with anything that contains wax or oil as these will create adhesion problems when it comes time to refinish. Avoid products like furniture polishes that contain silicone or other ingredients that build up and cause finish to dull and soften. Avoid commercial mops with pretreated cleaning pads that leave residues. If using a commercial floor cleaner, make sure it says that it is safe for polyurethane finish. Bona Kemi is a popular commercial cleaner.

A DIY cleaner is to mix vinegar and water solution (1/2 cup in one gallon water) for regular cleaning. To remove soap residue you may want to begin with a 50/50 solution. Clean a section at a time and buff dry with towel. Repeat applications may be necessary depending on amount of residue.

If finish has dulled from wear in high traffic areas or damage from improper cleaning, it will be impossible to restore original shine.

Old 10-09-06, 09:35 PM
agree with twelevepole on this...if the wood is worn down from traffic...its best to replace

conventional finish will not adhere to the wear layer applied during manufactoring

Old 10-10-06, 05:19 AM
B
Thanks for the quick reply. I will give the 50/50 mix a try. I don't think the floor is worn from traffic. I expect it is soap residue. I really appreciate the help.

Old 10-10-06, 07:35 AM
i have seen some people use a 1:1 mix of rubbing alcohol and water..misted over the floor and hand buffed dry with a soft terry

Old 10-10-06, 07:43 AM
B
I'll give each a try later this weekend and let you know how the floor turns out. Thanks again for the advice.

Old 10-10-06, 07:56 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Keep in mind that laminate flooring is closer to cardboard than wood, so don't get it excessively wet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: