What cleaner to use to remove odors on a microfiber reclining chair?

Old 10-17-06, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What cleaner to use to remove odors on a microfiber reclining chair?

I have a microfiber type material reclining chair and it has some sort of a 'musty' type of smell. I think it was maybe in a damp area for a while and has a musty or some other sort of smell. No mildew or mold is visible, the chair is only about 3 months old.

Anyhow, I wanted to clean the fabric on the chair but don't know what would be a good product for this and something that will take out any odors as well?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-06, 06:00 PM
Check for a label that has a cleaning code. W = water-based using mild soap foam or commercial upholstery foam cleaner. S = solvent cleaner like dry cleaning fluid for spot cleaning. Professional cleaning recommended. S - W = either water-based or solvent cleaner for spot cleaning. X = vacuum only.

Odors in upholstery padding will be a challenge to remove, as you can not clean beneath the upholstery. Airing chair outdoors on a sunny, breezy day may be helpful. Spraying chair with enzyme digester deodorizer may also be helpful.

Following manufacturer's cleaning instructions is recommended. Test any DIY cleaning method in inconspicuous area first for ill effects. Use a damp cloth on spills and stains on microfiber. After cleaning, fluff nap with cool hair dryer. This will help prevent a water ring during cleaning. Tough stains can be dabbed with mild soap suds foam on a damp sponge.

Old 10-17-06, 06:13 PM
well I have no stains at all, the chair is actually only about 3 months old and it came from the store with this smell (I got it on clearance so I can't take it back). I can't decide if the smell is a musty smell or some other type of deep fabric smell, but in any event I don't like the smell and I want to remove it.

My biggest concern was that it was mildew or mold causing the smell because I noticed that bottom metal support structure of the chair is rusted (it looks like it was moved on a rainy day).. could just being outside on a rainy day (but not getting rained on), cause the metal to rust on the bottom of the chair this quickly?

Thanks

Old 10-17-06, 06:32 PM
New furniture often off-gases odors from volatile organic compounds used in manufacturing. Some people are more sensitive than others to the odors of organic chemicals. Perhaps this is that 'new' smell that will eventually dissipate over time. Airing will expedite the process. Have you noticed that it is not as strong an odor as when you first got the chair?

High humidity inside the home can cause metal on chair to rust. What is the humidity level in your home? Humidity is measured with a hygrometer (sold where thermometers are sold). Humidity should be maintained year round at 35-55%. It is doubtful that moving the chair on a rainy day would have caused metal beneath to rust, as it would have been covered by the chair above.

Old 10-17-06, 06:46 PM
yeah I dont' know if it is the new chair smell or not, I got it used from a guy that bought it new only like 3 months ago he said and he said it was always kept in a dry room. The only time is saw moisture is when he moved it into his house on a rainy day.

the metal underneath is painted black and a lot of the black paint has flaked off and it got rusted.

Is it bad for your health to have rusted metal in your house? like can the rust be released into the air as small particules that you are breathing in?

Old 10-17-06, 08:10 PM
Not the rust
That's no big deal
It's why it rusted, and what else happened when it got rusted

I suspect it was in a damp area long enough to
A) get rust on the bottom
and
B) Absorb some mold/mildew/musty smell in the cushioning (foam)

This would take more than one day
Unless it was soaked, and left wet for quite a while

Outside, sun, fresh air (even if it's cold) may help
It'll either be mild enough that that will work
Or it's too far gone, and it won't help
There is no way to know until you try

A few dousings with Febreze may help also

Just curious as to why he got rid of it
It wasn't the smell was it?
...are you sure?

Old 10-17-06, 08:29 PM
If the previous owner had the chair in a damp basement or other room, it is possible that it could have mildew odor. Dampness would have caused metal to rust. If chair got soaked on moving day and remained wet 24-48 hours, it could have mildew issues inside the cushioning.