cat urine

Old 11-22-06, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry cat urine

HELP!! is there ANYTHING that will remove cat urine odor from carpet? i purchased this house 4 years ago and when the weather gets damp; the smell from this carpet gets very annoying. have tried odor ban, resolve carpet cleaner, is there anything that will work until i can afford to install new carpet??

Old 11-22-06, 08:03 PM
S
There is a product called "Anti Ickey Poo" that works. Just saying the name is comical, but the results are not. It is an enzyme that eats organics such as urine and then dies when it runs out of food. I was hired to replace some vinyl in a house that was a rental and the vacating renter had several cats with a very unpleasant odor left behind. The home owner had hired a cleaning company to deodorize the place, I got there to measure as they were getting started, and the stench was overpowering. I was certain they were wasting their time. But, when the materials arrived and I went back three weeks later, there was no detectable odor so I asked the guy what they used and that was his answer. I have no idea who carries it but I would guess you may be able to find it on line.

Old 11-23-06, 06:30 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
There are products specifically for this at pet stores. Keep in mind that urine soaked pad generally has to be replaced, it cannot be cleaned. If the smell is that bad after four years, it has most likely penetrated the flooring underneath the carpet and pad.

Old 11-23-06, 06:34 AM
It is very likely the cat urine and all the attempts you have made...has soaked into the padding and even the subfloor. Topical treatments will most likely only improve the odor. i suggest you pull the carpet back...take a knife...cut the padding in that area out and toss it. Clean and seal the subfloor...with the carpet back

i would also check the lower areas of any drywall or paneling in that area. If it too has a odor, cut out (if very bad) and replace. If it can be cleaned...clean and seal.

Replace the padding...very affordable. With the carpet still pulled back, use a enzyme based cleaner to clean BOTH sides of the carpet. Rinse well-using a shop vac to pull excess out. I would use a drop cloth to help control the moisture while cleaning the carpet. Leave carpet pulled back for serveral days. The stretch it back over the tack strip. Tack strips in that area may be effected and should also be replaced.

But when in doubt contact a professional.

Old 11-23-06, 08:58 AM
cat urine

thanks for the advice, i am going to try the anti ickey poo first. if this does not work i am going to try to remodel this bedroom in the spring and have new carpet installed then. thanks for the info.

Old 11-27-06, 02:50 PM
T
The trick to using enzyme digester cleaner/deodorizers is to give enzymes a chance to do their job of digesting odor causing bacteria. Cat urine settles not only downward but outward 3-5 times or more than affected surface area. It will settle into subfloor. While you can clean carpet and deodorize it, you can not clean cushion or subfloor beneath. Odor will continue to be a problem and is particularly noticeable on humid days.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: