water damaged drywall

Old 11-28-06, 09:31 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
water damaged drywall

I have some water damage inside the wall as a result of the water leak from the hot water pipe. Some mold buildup in the same area too. I am going to replace the pipes and the drywall inside the room but other side is very difficult to access, it behind the water heater, going to rip off the paper inside the drywall itís peeling anyway. So I was going to clean everything with bleach solution (currently running dehumidifier 24/7) and then prime and maybe even paint inside the wall just to give that damaged drywall some structural support from the inside outÖ. Never heard of something like that been done, so is it doable? Making any sense? Thanks!

Old 11-28-06, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i think you will find that once the outer paper of the drywall is removed. Due to the water damage the drywall will also be molded on that side as well and will most likely start to fall apart as it dries without the paper. if your going to replace the pipes to the hot water heater anyways. i would suggest just draining and moving the hot water heater and replacing the drywall. if the other side of the wall is open to the air, then it should dry and you could replace drywall as soon as it is removed.

Old 11-29-06, 05:34 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Water damage inside the wall means mold and mildew can grow there, too. Drywall and insulation should be removed in affected area and all mold and mildew inside the wall cavity treated with bleach/water solution and allowed to dry before replacing insulation and drywall.

Old 11-29-06, 07:31 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,281 Upvotes on 1,219 Posts
I agree - pain that it will be to do it, this drywall should be replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: