Waterbed Pillow top mattress pad cleaning problem

Old 12-13-06, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Waterbed Pillow top mattress pad cleaning problem

I have a Waterbed pillow top mattress pad made by Strata. I understand that they are now out of business, and I cannot find out who bought them out. To make a long story short - I need to have the pillow top and bottom jacket cleaned (musty smell)....... no dry cleaner will touch it because the underside of the pillow top has a rubber backing and they say it will melt. It is no longer under warranty, but I'm willing to try just about anything before tossing it in the garbage. Can I wash in a commercial washer? Any suggestions are welcomed.

Old 12-13-06, 01:54 PM
im willing to bet the dumble action in a washer may separate the backing as well..not to mention overly soak it..since you cant dry it....there also may be shrinking issues

if a controlled cleaning is down with a uph or carpet machine..this may work...if the water flow is controlled and kept low i dont see why it would damage it..but with that being said...diy machines lack the power to do this in my thoughts..

i would go the professional route and have it cleaned... i enzyme cleaner will work wonders on this it sounds like...most professional uph or carpet cleaners do offer some sort of mattress cleaning services

Old 12-14-06, 05:53 AM
Smile

Thank you for the suggestion. I will try it. Someone else also mentioned using an uph cleaning service.
Take Care,

Old 06-16-08, 09:51 PM
P
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by 74Omega View Post
I have a Waterbed pillow top mattress pad made by Strata. I understand that they are now out of business, and I cannot find out who bought them out. To make a long story short - I need to have the pillow top and bottom jacket cleaned (musty smell)....... no dry cleaner will touch it because the underside of the pillow top has a rubber backing and they say it will melt. It is no longer under warranty, but I'm willing to try just about anything before tossing it in the garbage. Can I wash in a commercial washer? Any suggestions are welcomed.
No one bought out Strata....they simply went out of business. Your right....no dry cleaner will touch it because of the backing, etc. You have no choice at this point other than to try a commercial washer, but DO NOT put it in a dryer afterwards because it will shrink and then won't fit. Air it out like crazy and maybe try Frebreze (can't hurt).
Check out xxxxxx if you need more help.

Last edited by Docduck; 06-17-08 at 05:58 AM. Reason: No advertsing allowed
Old 07-01-08, 03:23 AM
T
How to wash a Waterbed Pillowtop Mattress

Originally Posted by 74Omega View Post
I took mine to a laundry mat yesterday and used the biggest washer machine they had, It looked like I was trying to push an elephant through a doorway, but I did manage to get it in the machine. I used Clorox Bleach and Laundry detergent, and used the white cycle for the hot water effect. The Mattress would not fit in any dryer they had so I took it home and hung it over my fence, Now all you need to do is do the same, and walked pass the snickering from the other people who will be there. They were all amazed that it worked when I was leaving. By the way it cost $5.00 for one wash...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: