B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bawdtc (Laundry Odor)

I have a Maytag electric dryer. When the clothes are done they smell. Any
suggestions as to the cause?

Old 12-23-06, 09:10 PM
T
Clean laundry odors usually indicate too much detergent and inadequate rinsing or two little detergent for adequate cleaning. Some report success changing detergents.

Use amount of detergent as recommended by manufacturer. Add a laundry booster like borax. Skip the fabric softener and add a cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle to soften, freshen, remove soap residue, and resolve lint problems. A cup of ammonia in wash cycle along with detergent boosts cleaning and deodorizes the wash. Never mix bleach and ammonia because together they form a toxic gas. A powdered enzyme laundry detergent like BIZ is excellent for pre-soaking and washing. Enzymes digest organic odors and stains.

Wash laundry at proper temperature. Cold water wash will not remove body odors and odor causing bacteria. Dryer heat bakes in odors and stains. It may also be helpful to disinfect the washer by filling it with hot water, detergent, and a cup of chlorine bleach and let it run through a cycle. Clean up under the edge of the drum and seals to remove buildup and any mold/mildew.

Old 12-23-06, 09:44 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
What is the odor and do the clothes have it between washer and dryer or if air dried?

Old 12-24-06, 06:51 AM
Great suggestions here so far..i would like to add that if you are leaving the clothes in the dryer for some time after they are done. Like a day or two like my wife does....if the clothes didnt dry long enough and are left damp..they can get a odor..or if your basement has moisture issues that can also happen while they are waiting to be brought back up or waiting to be washed..i usually run a dehumifer in mine and the problems stopped

Old 12-24-06, 05:51 PM
C
If you have a front load washer many people do not use a HE soap which also can leave a mildew in the clothes, but you don't always smell it until its dried. Also check your dryer vent sometimes junk will be in the exhaust and cleaning it out will help.

Old 12-24-06, 08:06 PM
T
Purchasing the correct detergent and using the correct amount is important. HE (high efficiency) detergent should be used in front loading and high efficiency washers. HE detergent is very concentrated and low-sudsing. If using regular detergent in front loading washer, you have too many suds and improper rinsing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: