Moldy boat seats.

Old 12-28-06, 02:43 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Moldy boat seats.

I have a new boat that I put in storage for about 6 months near the coast.
When taking it out of storage the White seat upholstery has mildew or mold spots all over it. Does anyone know what I can use to get this off and restore their original color. I have tried Dishwashing detergent with some bleach in it but it did not work. Any information would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-06, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 126 Votes on 98 Posts
You'll need to actually soak them in something, dabbing won't work. You can try vinegar first since sometimes that will work. If it doesn't, then the only thing will be soaking in Clorox bleach. This will also break down the fibers so they'll need to be replaced sooner. The other problem you might have going is that the mold and mildew is also in the foam. If that's the case you may need to replace it.
Sorry, left out the fact that the vinegar or bleach should be diluted in water about a pint to a gallon, not straight.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 12-28-06 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Add more info
Old 12-28-06, 06:24 AM
S
There's a product call X-14 that works well for mold/mildew stains
It's a spray, and it's a bit smelly, and "bleachy", so use gloves and old clothes
And a respirator if in an enclosed area

If a spray and wipe doesn't work, you can get a bit more aggressive and brush it in, keeping in mind that is is pretty powerful, and may "bleach" or whiten/lighten the spot you are trying to clean

It's the best I have found out here in the Land Of Rust And Mildew, and should work unless the mildew is really in there good

Old 12-28-06, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 126 Votes on 98 Posts
I personally would not use X14 on an upholstered cushion so if you go this route, then test first in an inconspicuous spot.

Old 12-28-06, 09:27 AM
S
...wouldn't be my first choice either, nor would soaking them in bleach
But the cushions are white, and X-14 will kill the m/m when a bleach mixture (which has already been tried) fails to do so

If the cushions are vinyl covered, the concerns over lightening are unfounded
If they are say, cotton, I'd be very cautious
...or more likely replace them with something more H2O resistant anyway
They'll only get m/m again

Old 12-28-06, 09:50 AM
T
Vinyl upholstery is porous and absorbent. Stains, depending on type, can be impossible to remove. Mold and mildew stains are a challenge and can be impossible to completely remove. Apply enzyme digester cleaner to stains keeping surfaces wet with cleaner. The trick to using enzymes is to give them time to digest the stains. Enzyme digester cleaners are marketed under a variety of names such as Nature's Miracle, Out, OdoBan, and others. If necessary, saturate paper towel with concentrated cleaner and cover with plastic wrap and tape down on all sides in order to keep surfaces wet. At best you may expect to lighten stains.

Storing boats and other recreational vehicles poses problems with mildew and mold. Mold and mildew spores are everywhere in the air. When they find a damp, poorly ventilated, dark, and soiled area, they tend to settle in. Thus, it is very important to clean and disinfect all surfaces before storing. There are humidity absorbing products available for placing in stored boats. These should be available at your local boat supply and online.

It is recommended that boat be washed and waxed before storage. Interior carpets and floors and all surfaces should be cleaned and disinfected. Cushions and other items that are mildew prone should be removed and stored in a dry, well-ventilated area, preferably climate controlled environment.

Last edited by twelvepole; 12-28-06 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-18-09, 11:58 AM
J
Thumbs up Cleaning boat seats

I had a problem with removing black mildew from my boat seats. I tried everything and then came across a product in a marine supply store in Florida. It is called "Marykate Mildew Stain Remover" It was less then 10 bucks and works like a champ with nothing more then a sponge. It will not work on carpet etc. but works great on vinyl. It is also available on line
(Google Marykate mildew stain remover).

To keep the mildew away I use Lysol disinfectant. Simply spray
and wipe every couple of weeks. I believe this helps get rid of the mildew that is growing deep inside the foam. Good Luck.