Tub Cleaning

Old 01-03-07, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Tub Cleaning

Hi!
I am wondering if anyone has any helpful hints as to how to clean and rejuvenate an older tub. There are a couple rust stains and also some staining from old caulk - and it just looks kind of dull. I'd like to clean it up and get it back to something which approaches its former shine. Thanks for any help offered!

Old 01-03-07, 12:00 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
CLR should take out the rust and then a mild abrasive cleaner like Zud should handle the rest.

Old 01-03-07, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 144 Votes on 112 Posts
I've mentioned a product called "Gel Gloss" before, which is the best stuff I've tried for cleaning and shining up a tub, but you know, if a tub gets too old and dull (like mine did), it might be time to call in a pro to have it painted. That's what I did and it looks brand new.

Old 01-03-07, 02:17 PM
T
If your tub is fiberglass or porcelain, use of abrasive cleaners and hardwater minerals take a toll on gel gloss or ceramic glaze. This abuse leaves surfaces porous and open to oils, soils, and stains, particularly in tub bottoms. There are nonabrasive tub cleaners available. These should be given time to do their job before rubbing with cleaning rag, sponge, or white ScrotchBrite pad. For more severe stains, drain can be plugged and filled with water and bleach added to soak.

Bleach or cleaners containing bleach tend to set rust stains. A rust remover product can be used. BarKeepers Friend and Zud are two powdered cleansers that contain oxalic acid and are effective on rust and mineral stains. Let a paste of cleanser and water set on stains and then rub. Repeat if necessary.

Old caulk can be removed with solvent cleaner like rubbing alcohol. WD-49 sprayed on a left to set is also often effective. There are other stronger solvents available. Read and follow label directions because many are smelly and flammable and require ventilation.

Gel gloss or wax can be applied to surfaces to seal and to provide sheeting action. Proceed with caution if sealing tub bottom because waxing can cause it be slippery and may cause a fall.

Old 01-03-07, 10:08 PM
Thank you all! These sound like great ideas, I'll give them a try.

Old 01-03-07, 10:09 PM
There is a little tool available at home improvement stores that remove caulk...if you have old caulk residue there now. Take the time to scrape off all the old stuff, clean with solvent, rinse and recaulk with tub and tile caulk. Allow at least 24 hours to cure before using, then clean the rest of your tub. uncured caulk exposed to moisture will weaken it. Some fresh stuff around the edge of the tub and surround can save hundreds on repairs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: