Mildew on Furniture

Old 01-18-07, 12:50 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mildew on Furniture

I have had a few pieces of wood furniture stored in my basement and was unaware that they were drawing moisture. Now they have some mildew in the drawers and on the backs of the furniture. They also have that "sour" smell that you smell in antique furniture that has been exposed to moisture.

I know that bleach is the #1 cleaner for mildew but on furniture??

If you have any ideas, I would be willing to listen! I wanted to use this furniture in a bedroom that was recently vacated by one our our children.

byzeemom

Old 01-18-07, 02:10 PM
If its lite, i would wash with 4 oz of bleach per gallon of water then rinse well and let dry, out in the sun if you can. If its bad you may have to bleach it and then refinish it. If its bad and the furniture is inexpensive, i would just toss it. Mold is no joke, it can cause serious problems. Always wear protective gloves and in a well ventailated area. test any diy method in a hidden area first.

Old 01-18-07, 02:20 PM
T
Use bleach water solution to clean and disinfect. Clean a section at a time, rinse, and dry before moving on to the next section. Remove all drawers and wash inside and out. Wash inside cabinet boxes. If odor remains in drawer boxes, seal inside and out with a couple coats of polyurethane or other sealer to seal odor in.

In regard to mildew issues in the basement, eliminate clutter and organize in such a way that better air circulation occurs around stored items. Clean and disinfect walls and floors where there is evidence of mildew and mold. Run a dehumidifier to reduce humidity and fans to improve air circulation.

Mold and mildew spores are everywhere in the air. When they find a dark, humid or wet environment with poor air circulation and soiled surfaces on which to feed, they settle in. By addressing humidity, moisture, sanitation, and air circulation, you can combat mold and mildew.

Old 01-19-07, 04:55 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
You can use any household cleaner to remove small amounts of mold on hard furniture. 409. window cleaner etc.

Old 01-19-07, 09:43 AM
T
airman is correct in that other cleaners can be used. 409, Pinesol, and others that are listed as disinfectants can be effective. Bleach/water solution is usually a lot quicker. Too, you have the option of mixing your own solution. I would imagine that most tend to have an arsenal of cleaning products in the cupboard. Some of us, however, have only bleach and a few basics like rubbing alcohol, vinegar, baking soda, and ammonia.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: