any hints or tips for cleaning copper pennies ?

Old 01-27-07, 01:34 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question any hints or tips for cleaning copper pennies ?

I have at least $100.00 worth of pennies but they are badly tarnished. The coin counting machine I use will not count them all without it messing up and having to get an attendant. I think they have lime on them but I'm not sure. Whatever it is it is caked on their but comes off going through the machine and messing the sensors up.

Old 01-27-07, 01:52 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Put pennies in a pot of vinegar to clean and dissolve any oxidation that may be inhibiting their passing through the coin counter. Soak overnight or longer, depending on amount of oxidation.

Old 01-27-07, 02:09 PM
S
Post revised from earlier

It isn't the oxidation it is the dirt and grime and other soils on them. Thanks for the answer but I already tried soaking them in vinegar and salt it didn't help much if any at all. i need a cheap way to do it also. If you think of anything else please let me know.

Old 01-27-07, 03:41 PM
T
Dirt and grime? Dry soaking in degreaser or harsh detergent. Other tips: http://www.pennycollector.com/tips_clean.html

Old 01-27-07, 05:11 PM
nap
you wouldn't happen to have a vibratory polisher would you?

That would definately do the trick.

the link twelvepole gave had one sugggestion of a rotating rock tumbler. That would provide similar success.

If the chemical methods give you no success, I would suggested placing an amount you can handle in a large plastic jar along with something like carborundum or other polishing compound (no paste or liquds. it should be a dry situation) and manually shaking the jar to dislodge the offending contaminant. Merely placing the pennies in such a jar and shaking it, even without an abrasive, may dislodge the problematic coating.

Old 01-28-07, 09:49 PM
try soaking them in a clr type product

mixing salt and vinegar would cancel both chemcs out....vinegar is acidic, salt is alkaline..mix them together your going to end up around neutral pH which wouldnt do much

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: