Ugly Brown stain on porcelain sink from potpourri

Old 02-11-07, 09:31 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ugly Brown stain on porcelain sink from potpourri

Thanks for this great site and happy to be a member...I'm a first time home owner and so excited to have a guest bath. I placed a basket of potpourri in the corner of the top of the porcelain sink...the popourri was in a bag...months later, I discovered the oils from the potpourri had seeped through the bag, through the terra cotta basket and stained my porcelain sink. It's a deep brownish ugly color...I'm so frustrated...I've tried lemon juice, baking soda, tartar, vinegar, toilet bowl cleaners, bleach, dental whiteners, alcohol, and store bought products specifically used for porcelain....nothing takes it off and it's horrible looking...about 3-4 inches in width...anything you can offer to help will be appreciated...I would not believe that scented oils could be so penetrating.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-07, 04:07 PM
was there any writing or colors on the bag? it almost sounds like water from the sink next to it caused either the colors from the bag it was in or the stain from the basket to migrate to the counter top...dont know if the sink was used during this time...but from all the cleaners that you just described i would imagine after all that it may be in the stone it self...again not a stone expect, but i do know that there is a refinishing kit out there for poreclin..i think its a expoxy based paint or sealer..i have seen them out there for tubs so it may be available for countertops..head over to your local home improvement stores and ask some questions

Old 02-11-07, 07:36 PM
K
Ugly brown stain on porcelain sink from potpourri

Thanks for your response...and you may be right...water could have splashed from the sink and caused a dye to penetrate the sink countertop...now I'm thinking it could be the dye from the basket and not the potpourri...at any rate, I don't think the epoxy would work as the stain actually looks marblized, similar to stained dentures....one of the reasons I tried denture cleaners. The epoxy would be too thick and also obvious...any other thoughts to help would be appreciated...

Old 02-12-07, 07:16 AM
S
If you haven't tried it yet there is a product called "Whink" which might help you.Also there used to be a version of naval jelly for porcelain.Not sure if that's still around.Ace stores carry these and have help to assist you.Big boxes might carry them but have no qualified help.