Water damage to wood floor & possibly under tile.

Old 02-20-07, 01:24 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water damage to wood floor & possibly under tile.

About two weeks ago, our master shower floor overflowed onto the tile and went outside the bathroom to the wood in front of the closet. Fortunately, I went back to the room and wet dry vacuumed the area. One board already had buckled. We don't know why this backup occurred. A few days later soggy area appeared in the carpeting in the bedroom section. We kept blotting and vacuuming, but it appeared to be spreading . We pulled back the carpet to discover a black mold on the carpet about 8 feet long and one foot wide, with a small area that was about 2 feet wide. I removed and discarded the wet moldy carpet, and am now left with stained wood (black stains) and a bubbled up board has buckled. I sprayed bleach and water on the area and wiped up twice and it is drying, but don't know the extent of the damage. Am trying to mitigate damages and we aren't sure how much the insurance will cover. We are hoping it was not a ruptured pipe from the hard freeeze in the SF Bay Area in January. Am I proceeding correctly. We are sleeping in the room. Should I run fans during the day. My husbnad is diabetic, and we both noticed a dramatic increase in our alergic symptoms before discovering the soggy carpet. Thank you for any advice. Advise

Old 02-20-07, 04:46 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
You will have to remove wood floor that is damaged! It might go back down but very slowly!

Old 02-20-07, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Call a professional...this should be covered under homeowners...due to the time since the flood this is a cat 3 water loss..this can cause serious health issues...wall damage may also be occuring without you knowing it...you can dry floors in place with the proper equipment...contact your insurance agent and then proceed....professionals have the equipment to dry and uncover further hidden damage...for now run fans and dehumifers...make sure all floor coverings are up and left up...interior wall cavities were no air flow is present can remain wet...days or even months later

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: