cleaning brass

Old 02-21-07, 03:32 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cleaning brass

I've got a RRReeeaaalllyyyy tarnished brass statue. Though I have much experience with mechanically and chemically cleaning stainless and mild steel. However, I don't really know which rubbing compound, wire wheel, felt wheel, or chemical to use on brass. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Jack

Old 02-21-07, 04:30 AM
I've had great luck with a product called "Brasso". Works really good.

Old 02-21-07, 08:27 AM
S
Brasso is a bit old school but a good product.The best metal polish I've ever seen is Liberty but it is hard to find and has limited availability.

You want to make sure your item doesn't have a coat of lacquer on it as it is often used on brass as a preservative and needs to come off before polishing.Brass is soft metal so avoid anything like wire brushes or compounds that might scratch it and if you do go the brush and/or compound route test it on the bottom or out of the way spot to make sure it will resist scratches.

Independant hardware stores usually carry a wide variety of metal polishes and have help that can advise you on which ones work best.Some polishes are regional or carried because of popularity.

Old 02-21-07, 02:54 PM
J
That simple, "Brasso".

That simple, "Brasso". Hugh, it's some blacka$$$hit? But, seen crazier s@#$ try thank

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: