Gasoline in Washing Machine

Old 03-01-07, 06:06 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Gasoline in Washing Machine

My brother in law washed pants that were soaked with diesel fuel in my washing machine. How do I attempt to get the smell/oils out? I have tried ammonia, baking soda and degreaser. I have a feeling my washer may be ruined. Please help me if you have ANY ideas.
Thanks.

Old 03-01-07, 06:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 597 Posts
shoot your brother in law - just kidding

If you have a plastic tub I expect the job will be tougher.

I was going to suggest amonia but you already tried, maybe a cleaner like spic and span.

btw - welcome to the diy forums!

Old 03-01-07, 07:41 AM
H
Smile Thank you for your advice, it is greatly appreciated

Any other words advice, please post.

Old 03-01-07, 11:10 AM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Repeat cycles of hot water and a degreaser such as a citrus-based one. Leave lid open. Fumes will eventually dissipate. Do not wash laundry until fumes are gone. Do not place items with fuel fumes into dryer, as fumes are volatile and flammable. Air dry laundry until fumes dissipate before rewashing and placing in dryer.

Old 03-01-07, 11:43 AM
H
I have a front load washer and I am not able to leave the door open. I will try a citris based cleaner...like an Orange Glo multi purpose?

Old 03-02-07, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 305 Votes on 242 Posts
How about trying some Dawn dishwashing detergent. It's a great degreaser and what they use to clean the oil spills off the birds and won't hurt anything if it doesn't work. I'd probably put about 1/8 to 1/4 cup in for a few times and maybe add a couple rags to each cleaning. When they don't smell like gas anymore then you got it out.

Old 03-02-07, 02:51 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Dawn is a great degreaser for laundry. It also works great as a pre-spotter on grease stains. Any type of degreaser detergent should help eliminate the fuel from the washer and drain system.

It is not clear why you could not leave the door open on a front loading washer to air out after completing a cycle. Run several cycles of hot water and detergent through the washer and leave the door open after completing to allow fumes to dissipate.

Old 03-02-07, 05:35 PM
Y
just a note do not use dawn. front load machines need low suds. dish soap could ruin the machine
call the manufacturer, im sure this is not the first time
also calla laundromat since they have heavy duty machines for workwear

Old 03-02-07, 06:37 PM
C
Careful what you use

For front load machines, at least the one I have I have to use HE (High Efficiency) detergent. I was told when it was delivered/installed that if I use anything else it would over suds, ruin the machine and void any mfg. warranty.
I could only suggest keep doing multiple loads of old towels. Call the mfg. first to see what they suggest.

Old 03-02-07, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator
Interesting. Do you think just adding a drop or two would cause oversudsing?
Does Gain make an HE formula? Gain's supposed to be good for greasy, smelly clothes.

Old 03-02-07, 08:42 PM
D
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I've used Gain forever 'til I realized I should be using a HE detergent as well. I couldn't find a HE Gain I've only seen maybe 1 or 2 different HE detergents out there

Gain really does smell nice. You get that "right out of the dryer" smell days later.

Old 03-04-07, 07:10 AM
Y
well lets just say i put a teaspoon in a dishwasher once, and i had suds all over thekitchen. unreal the amount a little soap makes.
i would not risk it
talk to a laundromat or the manufacturer

Old 03-04-07, 06:47 PM
Just a thought, BUT if you call the manufactor and tell them that someone put clothes soaked in fuel oil inside the washer...arent they going to say that voided the warranty anyways?? I would just use the citris based solvent on a low water setting and just keep a eye on the suds level..some fabric softener should also lower suds level...OR use a dry cleaning solvent and sray in small areas and clean by hand, but the odor would only allow for small areas at a time

just my thoughts

Old 06-09-07, 05:59 PM
D
I just had to post about HE detergents as I was in the store today and found Gain came out with the HE detergent

Old 06-09-07, 10:15 PM
Buy a defoamer (used for cleaning carpets) and add it to the laundry with the Dawn, those detergents foam up because the sudsing agents are added (consumers think lots of suds = cleaning power, it doesn't).

I'd experiment in the sink with the ratio's first.

Old 06-10-07, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator
Wow DIY, you sure have a good memory I forgot all about this thread. I guess more brands will be coming out with it too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: