Residue on Hardwood Floors

Old 03-06-07, 06:46 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Residue on Hardwood Floors

We bought a house last year and installed new hardwood floors in all rooms except the bedrooms about 9 months ago. Since then, we have had a cleaning service come 3 times, and their services included cleaning all the floors. I had reservations about what they used, but, unfortunately, I didn't voice them. They were here again last week and I believe they used the same product each time (don't remember what it is except it's a liquid applied by them with a sponge mop, and it's not Murphy's Oil Soap). This morning, when I walked past the LR where the morning sun was streaming in I saw a very visible film on the floors. Not good!

We've had hardwood floors in the past and had no film and no problems ... however, I didn't use a cleaning service previously either. I cleaned them myself with what the installer recommended which was Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner which left no streaks or residue.

We tried 3 things on the floor this morning to remove the film. We first tried Minwax Hardwood Floor Cleaner; then JR-5000 Adhesive Remover and Cleaner (which the installers used to clean the floors after installation); and Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner. We applied all 3 the same: squirted it on, used a clean white towel to remove the film (this was done the hands-and-knees-method ... not with a mop). The sun has now moved so we can't be sure until tomorrow morning, but it seems as if the only one to work was Bona and that took lots of elbow grease.

Is there an easier way to clean the film off the rest of the floors without damaging them? We will be doing this ourselves ... the cleaning people won't be back.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by Lynne; 03-06-07 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-06-07, 07:17 AM
T
Unless commercial cleaners are specifically labeled safe for polyurethane finish, they should not be used. Cleaners that leave a residue will result in a film and possible dulling and softening of the finish over time. Bona Kemi floor cleaner is highly recommended by prefinished hardwood flooring manufacturers. Vinegar/water solution may also be effective for removing the film. It may take several cleanings to remove all the film. Do a section at a time, buff dry with old towel before moving on to the next section.

Old 03-06-07, 07:35 AM
L
twelvepole -

The Bona I used is the Bona Swedish Formula. Is there a difference in the Bona Swedish and the Bona Kemi? I'm using what was recommended at the time, but I'm open to equal or better products.

We think that you're going to be correct in that this will take several cleanings to remove the film.

Thank you for replying.

Old 03-06-07, 08:10 AM
i would try a well wrung out mop and luke warm water with the vinegar and towel dry as you go

If in doubt..call the cleaning company and just simply ask

Old 03-06-07, 08:53 AM
L
Docduck -

Thanks for the suggestion re vinegar, luke warm water, and wiping dry. Sounds as if that might work.

Thank you.

Old 03-07-07, 07:13 AM
L
[QUOTE=Lynne;1137508] and Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner. We applied all 3 the same: squirted it on, used a clean white towel to remove the film (this was done the hands-and-knees-method ... not with a mop). The sun has now moved so we can't be sure until tomorrow morning, but it seems as if the only one to work was Bona and that took lots of elbow grease.
QUOTE]

A follow-up from yesterday: When the morning sun shone on the LR floors this morning, the area we cleaned yesterday using Bona looked great. We are going to continue using that to clean the residue off the rest of the floors. The only thing we are going to do differently is to try to use a mop with a microfiber head on it to see if that will work as good as the hands-and-knees-method. If it doesn't, we'll be back to the harder way to clean up the residue.

I appreciate the suggestions I got yesterday. Thanks again.

Old 03-08-07, 04:57 AM
T
Good news about the Bona cleaner. The Bona products are not suppose to leave a residue. Follow label directions and you should be fine with maintaining floor. In between applications, simply mist microfiber mop with plain water to collect dust and maintain high traffic areas.

Old 03-08-07, 08:02 AM
L
Originally Posted by twelvepole View Post
Good news about the Bona cleaner. The Bona products are not suppose to leave a residue. Follow label directions and you should be fine with maintaining floor. In between applications, simply mist microfiber mop with plain water to collect dust and maintain high traffic areas.
twelvepole -

I didn't know about misting the microfiber mop with water to collect dust when doing daily routine cleaning ... it makes absolutely perfect sense, though. I was using it dry, and it didn't seem to be working much better than a plain old dust mop.

Thanks for the great information!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: