HELP! Tomato sauce on yellow vintage vinyl stepstool

Old 03-15-07, 06:35 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HELP! Tomato sauce on yellow vintage vinyl stepstool

I'm looking for any ideas of how to remove a stain left from red pasta sauce on my beloved vintage lemon-yellow vinyl step stool. I realized some had dripped on it a few days ago and tried to clean it up. It's left that tell tale mark red sauce will on plastic. I tried wiping it with water, a 409 glass and surface cleaner, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (which began to dull the finish) and nothing will lift it.

Any ideas?!

Old 03-15-07, 09:07 PM
T
Stains absorbed by vinyl are often impossible to remove. Vinyl is porous and absorbent. You might try applying 3% hydrogen peroxide from the pharmacy and let set 15-20 minutes to see if it will lighten the stain. If it appears to be working, continue to repeat applications. Another option would be to apply enzyme digester cleaner in the same way. Enzymes must be given time to digest stains. Enzyme cleaners are marketed as pet mess cleaners and with a variety of names such as OdoBan, Nature's Miracle, Out, and others at home centers and in cleaning aisles.

Old 03-16-07, 06:33 AM
G
Thanks Twelvepole. Would I risk pigment lifting?

Hi Twelvepole. I wondered if you feel there is a chance of pigment lifting from the vinyl in using either the HP or enzyme product? I have a feeling this is one of those situations where I could take bad to worse! I use Nature's Miracle constantly at home with small kids and dogs so I have a ready supply of that. I've not had any issue with it lifting pigment from the items it's cleaning the stain from but wondered about the hydrogen peroxide. I greatly appreciate your help!

Old 03-16-07, 12:31 PM
T
Enzymes digest organic stains and odors. Vinyl is not organic and should have no ill effects on vinyl. It is doubtful that the 3% hydrogen peroxide, a weak oxygenating bleach, would have ill effects on vinyl color. You can always test in inconspicuous place first for ill effects.

Old 03-16-07, 08:08 PM
J
Smile You might try...

airing in the sun - sometimes tomato juice will take its time to disappear. Just going by experience with plastic dishware...you might want to try a solution of bleach in water to rinse and let dry in the sun... Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: