satin wall

Old 05-22-07, 07:27 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy satin wall

I just bought a house and the inside walls were painted with satin latex paint for 3 years. I do not have a time to paint it again, but I do want to do a good cleaning. This is the first house and I do not have any knowledge about house work. Any suggestions for doing that.

By the way the house is a carpet ( not very dirty), How can I deal with the carpet cleaning? Rent a tool to clean it by myself or ask a professional to do that. I have check the price and they are so different. Does someone can tell me what level cleaning do I need if ask somebody to do that.
Thanks for your answer and I appreciate it.

Old 05-22-07, 10:36 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,281 Upvotes on 1,219 Posts
Hire a house cleaner and watch what they do for a few weeks. Once you're comfortable taking over, let them go.

Old 05-24-07, 04:16 PM
D
Smile

As for cleaning the carpets - I rented machines, and used the cleaning solution for a number of years in a previous house - I wondered why the stains were coming back - well - the cleaning solutions were leaving a residue in the carpet, attracting dirt....

Since then, what I've done is invest in a carpet cleaner - about $200 retail ( you can always find them on sale for less)- I figure that it has actually paid for itself over two years with the amount I've spent on rentals..... I also do not use the solutions - I just mix one cup white vinegar with hot water to put in the tank. ( test it on an inconspicuous area to make sure it does not discolor the carpet - it should not) - not only has this saved money, but I can pull out the machine and clean just one room whenever I need to!

Rental machines have a higher suctioning power than store-bought machines, and professionals have even better power than rentals - maybe get someone in to clean tham the first time, then do it yourself from there?

One tip if you are thinking of buying a carpet cleaner - make sure that it comes with attachments for steps and hard to reach places.....

Old 05-25-07, 10:18 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Professional carpet cleaning is recommended. DIY carpet cleaners do not have enough suction to remove excess water from carpet. Excess water can cause mold and mildew in carpet cushion and delamination of carpet backing. The pros have the trucks with the long hoses with great suction, hot enough water to disinfect, and cleaners that leave no residues that attract soil and cause rapid resoiling.

Dry sponges work like giant erasers and are great for cleaning walls, ceilings, and unwashable surfaces. These special chemically treated sponges can be found at home centers and hardware stores. Latex paint does not lend itself to much washing and scrubbing.

Jeff Campbell's best seller Speed Cleaning is an outstanding book for those new to house cleaning. www.thecleanteam.com

Old 05-25-07, 03:40 PM
D
Smile

Twelve -
I understand what you're saying with the excess water....but...I have an older dog who sometimes has an accident, ( about once every three months)and the best way to treat the area is to get to it quickly with a DIY machine after spot treating it with vinegar and water....
Also, I agree about the excess moisture, and have learned not to oversaturate the carpets - Having my own machine is much less expensive for spot treatments than renting one each time - and easier on my back, with hauling it in and out of a car....
Appreciate your expertise!

Old 05-25-07, 08:15 PM
S
Group Moderator
DIY machines don't just leave excess water, they also tend to leave some of the cleaning chemicals behind, which attracts more dirt and makes the carpet dirtier than ever before.

Old 05-26-07, 05:20 AM
D
Then should we use just water in the machine? Reduce the water/vinegar mix?

Old 05-26-07, 07:01 AM
S
Group Moderator
You're ok on this point because you're not using soap in the first place, but most people do. I was just listing another reason that this is generally a job best left to pros, rather than DIY.

Old 05-26-07, 08:41 AM
D
Thanks! I haven't noticed a buildup using this mixture, and it does help with eliminating the pet smell....

Old 05-26-07, 08:34 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Interim carpet cleaning with DIY methods is fine as long as you do not overly wet the carpet and use cleaners that leave residues in carpet. Just keep in mind a professional carpet cleaning every 12-18 months is even better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: