Type of mask needed for cleanup

Old 06-03-07, 11:28 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Type of mask needed for cleanup

I have begun to clean up toxic areas in our home. I purchased a mask with changeable inserts. I feel sick after being in the room only 10 minutes cleaning. Opened doors and put the tank part of the vacuum (large 16-gallon wet/dry) outdoors. Am cleaning up after rodent infestation. Any advice on the type of mask needed. Saw one on TV on a "cleanup" show that had large disc shapped nose filters. Haven't seen this one in the hardware/home stores. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 06-03-07, 11:48 AM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Open up the doors and windows for at least 30 minutes before entering the areas. Do not vacuum or stir up dust. Spray everything down with bleach/water solution. 1 part bleach/10 parts water. Let set for 5-10 minutes. Wear rubber gloves. Use paper towels to collect droppings, dead rodents, and debris. Deposit in trash bag as you go. Then, wash everything down again with bleach water solution. Dispose of gloves in trash bag. Wash hands. You should wear coveralls, boots, gloves, goggles, and mask with HEPA filter. Either decontaminate protective gear or dispose of at end of day.

Old 06-03-07, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would consult a professional...not only is there the personal risk, But materials like that have to be disposed of and handled according to state and local regulations. What you are smelling sounds like ammonia related or methane fumes. You would need a high dollar fask mask with the proper filters DESIGNED for the fume. I would highly suggest that you also consult your insurance if you havent done so. If you havent any DIY cleanup that results in further damage or future problems would not be covered. Thus leaving you in a worse position.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: