Buying a professional carpet-cleaning machine?

Old 07-04-07, 06:10 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Buying a professional carpet-cleaning machine?

My carpet is a few years old. It's never been professionally cleaned. I've used the supermarket rentals and then got a Bissell home machine. Now the Bissell doesn't work any more. I'm a big do-it-yourselfer and I want to invest in a commmercial-type machine so I have a properly cleaned carpet. I could pay professionals to clean the carpet but I'm perfectly willing to and capable of doing the work myself, but I don't know where to start in shopping for the proper tool. And I know a good machine would be expensive, but I'm willing to make the investment. What are the best brands and types of professional/commercial machines?

Old 07-05-07, 08:44 AM
Before you jump into a big investment like this..and when i mean big...a decent commercial grade...your looking at 2k+

You need to look at serveral factors...how much is your current carpet worth +labor to install

How old is the carpet

How much is there?

Not putting you down, but people tend to think cleaning carpets..is fairly simple..Serveral factors go into it...years and years of experience, knowing what type of carpet there is to clean, chemical knowledge, pH level knowledge, the right type of cleaning that is needed. This is just to name a few. So, the machine is just one investment..when you add the knowledge there is a ton to learn. My suggestion to you would be to find a quality carpet cleaner in your area...have them come out and clean you carpets..and simply watch what all is involved.

This will give you a small idea...if you jump into it brand new. You can spend hundreds of dollars if not more on worthless chemicals, that could in fact do more damage to your carpet than what the machine you are using is worth.

I have been doing this type of work for many years and still learn something new everyday.

Old 07-06-07, 05:33 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'd also factor in:
How often you need your carpets cleaned?
Where will you store this behemoth and it's chemicals when it's not in use?

I have a local guy, charges $150 to clean my entire house of carpet (probably 2000 sq ft of carpet, the rest is tile or vinyl). It looks like new when he is done and dries within a few hours.

At the referenced $2000 initial investment (for a USED machine, not including chemicals or repairs!), I'd have to clean my own carpet 13 times just to break even. Assuming a steady price (it's been $150 for the last 3 years) and once a year cleaning, I'd have to own the machine for over 14 years just to break even.

Not even close to worth it.
For spot cleaning, my wet/dry vac and a spray bottle of warm water has cleaned up anything we've managed to spill so far.

Old 07-06-07, 05:39 PM
G
Thank you - very good points in both answers to my question. But now I'm really interested in one of the machines you can rent at the local grocery store - you can buy one of your own for about $700 - and boy does their Web site make you want to get one. It's got a video with the machine in action - "deep cleaning" and getting out all kinds of stains, and I'm getting sold. Wonder if that's a good investment as opposed to renting?

Old 07-07-07, 01:53 AM
i feel safe in saying this...ANY carpet machine you can rent at a grocery store isnt worth it either...not to rent or to buy...they lack the power plus if you add up the chemical prices with those machines...thats were they get you

24 hour rental

machine $25
prespray 10
pet spotter 10
defoamer 10

etc etc

If you have you heart set on buying a good machine....call your local janitoral supply and ask to see a catalog of professional grade extractors...take a look thru it and post back for more help if you find one. Again the prices will be kinda high..but well worth it.

To touch on the 150 dollars to clean your carpets...that is pretty good deal, you will not find many carpet cleaners that will come close to that

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: