Household Odor

Old 07-18-07, 10:41 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Household Odor

My elderly dad resides in an independent living facility. Due to bladder control issues, he must wear an adult "diaper". His apartment tends to have an odor. I have tried all types of room fresheners, etc. Is there something that I can use to eliminate the odor as opposed to just covering it up. I have tried soda in the wastebasket that he uses for the "diapers" but nothing seems to give the apartment a fresh smell.

Old 07-19-07, 12:01 AM
Hard question to answer....serveral factors

Have there been "accidents" on carpet?
Padding under carpet?
What is the housekeeping staff cleaning with?
Are the carpets being cleaned?
Are the walls being cleaned?
How long has it been since the walls have been painted?

If there has been accidents on the carpet, they may need cleaned. If there has been anything really major the padding has been effected. Some IL, not all, homes lack the budget and trained staff to provide high quality cleaning supplies and staff. Not knocking anyone but its the truth in some cases. If the walls havent been cleaned in awhile the odor may of been soaked into the paint and there for needs painted. if you can provide more answers i can help.'

Also work with the cleaning or maint staff there

Old 07-19-07, 01:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 54 Posts
This is a quote from a new member who, unfortunately voiolated Fourm rules in his signature line. I have copied and pasted the body of his post:

Eliminate Odor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mkosmo,

Urine is one of the more difficult odors to eliminate. Try this. Look for any visible stains first. Then use club soda on the area. Blot (don't rub) with paper towels 3-4 times. Stand on the towels the last time. A fan should speed drying. Then use an enzyme based stain remover. I use a natural non-toxic one. If you don't have a carpet spotter, try a handy solution of 1/3 cup white distilled vinegar in a 1-quart bottle of cool water. Rinse with plain water & blot. After the area is totally dry, apply baking soda liberally. Let it sit a while then sweep before vaccuuming. This is so you don't gum up your sweeper.

That takes care of the carpets. For the containers, you should be able to spray them with the stain remover or a general purpose cleaner. There are some "urine removers" but I'm not sure what's in those. I don't think they are all-natural though. Hope that helps. John M

Old 07-19-07, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 144 Votes on 112 Posts
I had a relative that temporarily had that problem while in a hospital. He was there for several weeks and that smell was always there and this was a hospital. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything that can totally eliminate it. Have you tried any of those spray air sanitizers/odor eliminators? Fabreeze, Lysol, Renuzit have them, to name a few. I've found they work pretty well, but need to be sprayed more frequently when it's an ongoing odor.

Old 07-19-07, 05:27 PM
i have done contract work in long term care facilities and im being quite honest when i say.....we have never had a problem with the lived in odor..if proper cleaning was being done..this is just my thoughts on this

Old 07-19-07, 06:23 PM
J
Tactless suggestion.

Search the pet forum. Some people swear by certain products for their pets' accidents and markings.

Most substances that truly absorb odors work best in enclosed space. Baking soda, clay, charcoal will work in refrigerators, closets, and drawers.

Masking agents will keep the room 'fresh' if they are sharp; citrus, mint, and vinegar. Store bought products are usually too sweet, and give some people blinding head-aches; use dried citrus peels or herbs [or vinegar], instead. Gold Bond powder also gives a sharp clean scent.

Vinegar [acetic acid] will break down sulfur based odors [skunk, cigarette smoke]. Leave an open jar in the room.

You can burn odors out of the air; I have been told kosher candles are best for this.

Bleach is great; it sanitizes [at room temperature; in hot water it does not kill bugs] and masks.

I can not think of a material that will eliminate nitrogen based odors in the air off hand, but search these fora; I am fairly certain there is a suggestion on here.

Old 07-19-07, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 144 Votes on 112 Posts
I think the problem is, as was in the case I described, that it's not because it's getting on anything, but rather it's coming from him and the impractibility of being able to take a hundred baths a day. I think he's looking for a way to keep the air fresh smelling.

Old 07-19-07, 07:38 PM
J
One more suggestion.

Make a bag filled with baking soda or charcoal from a piece of pantyhose, and duct tape it to the inside of the lid of the disposable undergarment container. It will absorb [well, actually, adsorb] the odors as they rise, and a little powder will shake down onto the contents everytime it is opened and closed.

And real lemom juice will both mask and break down [some] odors.

As for Dad himself: I really like Gold Bond powder, and he might like a soap with a strong natural smell, like one of Dr. Bonner's.

Old 07-20-07, 08:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 54 Posts
You might also do a little detective work with a black light with the room(s) darkened.

Try Googling "urine finder black light". They're really designed to find pet urine spots, but the problem is the same.

Once you locate the source, enzyme-based products (Urine-Off (tm) for example) do very well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: