stain on hardwood

Old 07-30-07, 11:42 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
stain on hardwood

Hi,

I have 10 year old oak hardwood floors. They were in perfect condition until I put a jute rug down 3 years ago. I just pulled up the rug and noticed the floor is no longer shiny under the rug and the rug left little dots from the knots in walking areas. (natural fiber resin?) I think the damage was done to the sealer and not to the wood. Is there any way to fix this problem?

I will use a pad under all rugs in the future...

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-07, 09:55 PM
run your hands accross the floor can you feel scratches? im thinking that is what you are dealing with here...if the floor is poly you may be able to take some vinegar and water and hand buff the area to see what that provides

if it is still obvious a polish may be needed to help out...the bad thing about poly is...if you do have to do patching areas like this...that usually stick out like sore thumbs

Old 08-08-07, 09:14 AM
T
Most polishes contain waxes or oils. Poly finish should never be waxed or oiled or cleaned with products that contain waxes or oils because these tend to contaminate the floor and cause adhesion problems when it's time to refinish the floor. As indicated, spot refinishing tends to make affected areas standout. Thus total floor refinish is recommended. Walking on rugs create movement. If rug backing is abrasive it will sand away at floor finish, creating fine scratches and a dull finish. A temporary fix would be to cover affected area with rug and protective non-yellowing pad.