stains on microfiber sofa

Old 08-13-07, 07:46 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
stains on microfiber sofa

Hi,

We have a microfiber sofa that we bought about 3-6 months ago. We purchased it at a furniture store and got the Dupont Stain Resistant treatment on it and was told that all we need to do is blot the stain with a damp rag and it will come out. The stains that are in it are a little dirt, food crumbs, and our 3 year old accidentally wet the couch a couple of times while sleeping (forgot to put him in a pull-up, as we are potty training him). I have read online where Windex will get urine stains out, which it does, and any other stain on there. Whenever I use windex on the sofa, it seems that I have to clean it about 3-4 times before it is fully clean. Does anyone else have any ideas on how to clean stains? I tried to look for the tag with the cleaning information on it, but can't find it anywhere on the sofa.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 08-13-07, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ok first off i have never heard the windex thing...but as a professional level cleaner..I strongly advise against that. Windew has serveral dyes in it to make it blue..these dyes i would say will stain your couch over time. The thing that is cleaning in windex is hard to say. Alcohol is a base in most window cleaners, which may be what is working.

Depending on what the spill is..if your doing it by hand, it may take 3-4 times no matter what you use. I would error on the side of caution and just use a wet rag if its fresh. Solvents usually are OK on microfiber. So the rubbing alcohol applied to a rag then blotted can also be helpful.

Test any diy method in a hidden area first or on a skirt.

A tip is most of the time retailers of furniture and carpet...some will not always have the best method to keep it clean. That is why they sell it, most dont offer cleaning services. They are most likely not going to say anything adverse about the piece that would deter you from buying. That has just been my experience. Do a search on the forums here about microfibers. This has been covered serveral times.

Old 08-22-07, 01:31 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Sounds like it is time for a professional cleaning of the microfiber sofa. DIY surface cleaning and professional cleaning will not be able to remove urine that has been absorbed into couch cushion and padding, even though the microfiber may be clean. As indicated, I'd likely not use anything more than a damp cloth. Any DIY cleaning method should be tested first in inconspicous place for ill effects. If water-based cleaning appears to have no ill effects, there are DIY upholstery shampoos available like Woolite. For oil-based stains, rubbing alcohol can be used. Again, test first, as the alcohol is a solvent and can take a toll on unstable dyes.

With small children, it's best to keep eating confined to the kitchen table and to cover a new sofa with a throw to minimize soiling. If urine is going to be a problem place waterproof crib pads over cushions before covering with throw. It's less of a headache to maintain the couch with children when it's covered with a throw. The throw can be easily removed for washing and when adults visit. Although adults can be messy, too. Thus, confining eating to the kitchen and diningroom can help prevent accidents on the upholstery.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: