Cleaning carpet help

Old 09-11-07, 04:28 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cleaning carpet help

The carpet is old, but in very good condition. The problem is it's got black shaded stains, that won't come out. We had a carpet cleaner professional in today to do the carpets, Even with his big machine it didn't remove them.

Another thing, there is an area where there some sticky stuff. not sure exactly what it is but it is stuck to the carpet.

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-11-07, 06:04 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I assume the pro cleaned over the sticky spots as well?

When a pro can't get your carpet clean, it's probably time to replace.

Old 09-12-07, 06:32 AM
T
Not all stains can be removed from carpet, especially old stains and stains on which the wrong cleaning products were used and set the stain.

Knowing the cause of the stain is important. Different types of stains require different cleaning products and procedures. Carpets with unstable dyes are also limited as to what cleaning products can be used on them. As indicated, if a professional carpet cleaner can not remove stains, then they tend to be permanent.

Sticky stuff? What is it? Black stains? What caused them and how old are they?

Old 09-14-07, 10:58 AM
N
I believe it's a built up over time of sand, or dirt and maybe some food spilled in some area. I am only the owner's grandson, and only lived here a number of years. Some of the stains been there from before i moved in. Others are mostly because people been walking on it with shoes on.

Old 09-15-07, 07:45 AM
depending on the type of fiber in the carpet...what you describe is classic apparent soiling. Basicly what it is..is over time even high quaility carpet when exposed to wear and tear gets worn down...olefin fibers show this the fastest, since they are plastic...ever take a plastic bag and ball it up and it gets the wrinkles you cant get out?? thats what basicly happens to olefin...even nylon which holds up better wears down and the fibers become scratched..when this happens...even if the carpet is cleaned...the light reflects off of the fibers in traffic areas differently...when the reflection is seen..it is seen as a dull or dark area...thus people think its loaded with soil...thus the name apparent soiling

now there also can be a condition known as wicking..when the moisture in the carpet is left in there too long or overly wetted...the remaining soil load returns to the carpet surface during drying

But with all this being said..since you said it was a older carpet...i would suggest that unless your going to replace this may be the best condition...if not call another professional and ask them if they will come out and do a free demo or a spot or 2...some will some wont

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: