Mould & Mildrew

Old 10-23-07, 08:48 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Mould & Mildrew

Hi I would like to know, that mould you get around the bath that appears as black splogies on the sealant or grout between the bath and the tiles, how would you remove these sploggies as they are really ugly , someone mentioned Detox Mould & Mildrew spray but I would be doing this around an enamel bath and it says under the warning bit not to use it on emamel baths, this does seem as though it would do the trick but I am a bit dubious as it says this , so has anyone had experience of using this product or would anything else do the job?

Old 10-23-07, 09:02 AM
You could get the same results just using bleach and water mixed togeter and a scub brush.

I just did ours this weekend and I think it was 409 mold and mildew cleaner. It smelled like bleach is all.

Old 10-23-07, 06:46 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,165 Votes on 1,123 Posts
Bleach and water will kill mold and mildew - probably cheaper than the stuff you mentioned.

Old 10-23-07, 07:04 PM
after serveral years the caulking will become harder to clean...when that happens cut it out and replace...bleach and water sounds like the way to go...ventalite well...use just a few oz per gallon of water

Old 10-24-07, 04:23 AM
W
Question Bleach?

Cheers Guys I might try that.

but guys I have heard Bleach rots the sealant is this true, or pure fabrication?

Old 10-24-07, 04:42 AM
I take back the 409 thing. It was ZEP Mildew and Mold stain remover.

Old 10-24-07, 04:55 AM
W
Originally Posted by mattison View Post
I take back the 409 thing. It was ZEP Mildew and Mold stain remover.

I have seen Detol Mould & Mildrew spray but not Zep Mould & Mildrew where would you get that Mattison?

also is it fine with enamal baths as Detol Mould & Mildrew states on the back it isn't?

Old 10-24-07, 06:05 AM
Got it at Home Depot. Not sure about the enamel bath thing. I used it all over, even on the chrome fixtures with no visible problem.

If you use it make sure your window is open and maybe even put a fan in it to pull the air out. If not it burns your eyes and makes you cough. I learned that the hard way.

Old 10-24-07, 06:32 AM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
There are many mold/mildew bathroom cleaners available, including nontoxic enzyme digester cleaners for organic stains. The trick is to give the cleaner time to work.

Prevention is best. Mold and mildew spores are every where in the air. When they find a damp, poorly ventilation area, soiled surface, they tend to settle in. Wipe down shower/tub after using with squeegie or chamois. Leave shower door or curtain open for ventilation. Run bath vent/fan during showering/bathing and afterwards for about 20 minutes to exhaust excess humidity. Clean tub/shower weekly with disinfectant cleaner. Mildew prone areas can be kept spray with disinfectant. As indicated, mildewed caulk will have to be cut out and replaced.

Old 10-29-07, 05:38 AM
W
Question advice

Hi guys thanks for your input, can I just ask the person I am doing this for I found out has some bottles of thick and thin bleach, without rotting the sealant, as someone mentioned bleach could rot the grout or sealant, so I am a bit at what I could use, could I just wipe this mould off with some thin bleach?

As the guy who has this problem round his bath, has many, many cleaning procucts already such as cream cleansers, sprays for the kitchen etc and amongst these a couple of bottles of thick and thin bleach, so could I get away with some ordinary thin bleach dabbed on this and just wipe off?

Old 10-29-07, 06:05 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,165 Votes on 1,123 Posts
What are thick and thin bleach?

Old 10-30-07, 02:25 AM
W
Wink bleach

Mitch I mean a couple of bottles labelled thick bleach and a couple of bottles labelled thin bleach!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: