are these ok? (Mop for laminate floor)

Old 10-26-07, 03:33 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question are these ok? (Mop for laminate floor)

Hi we have laminated flooring and just wondered the best method to clean it, at the moment we drag out a small hoover and just go over it, but I am thinking of an easier method of a broom, dust pan and brush, as well as that I have seen a lot of these flat mops around, that either vileda do or places do there own, some of these you just lightly spray and away you go, these seem quite a good idea to me getting into those all those awkward places and would pick my stray hairs off the floor brilliantly, now as I am thinking of one I thought I would ask if these are as good as they seem first rather then find out further down the line that it was a waste of money?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-07, 06:12 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Floor surfaces require more attention than carpet, as I'm sure you know. Scrubbing is usually not required all that often, but sweeping one or more times daily can be. Whatever method you use to keep the hair and dust off between real cleaning is good. I like using a vacuum cleaner myself, but those cleaning pad mops look like they'd do a pretty good job as well.

Old 10-26-07, 07:23 AM
T
Whatever style mop used, avoid treated mops. These will leave a residue that will compound cleaning problems.

Old 10-29-07, 05:41 AM
W
Question Thanks

Thanks for your input Mitch and Twelvepole , so basically you saying one of those flat mops would be fine even if you squit the mop with a spray bottle so its just damp?

Old 10-29-07, 05:52 AM
W
Question Help!

nearly forgot to ask, under the sink in a tin of liquid, looks like kind of polish similar to Ronseal or something, that brings up the shine of the wood, it was left by the previous owner who was a young girl and it seems she used this on the laminate because in the morning when the sun, yes sun, shines through the window you can see marks i.e streaks, where she has wiped this on the floor, and it looks horrible , so is there any way you can get rid of these marks our are doomed to have a marked floor?

Old 10-29-07, 07:09 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I'd try a vinegar and water solution for a damp mop first and see what that does.

Old 10-29-07, 07:10 AM
Our laminated flooring only required cleaning with a white vinegar and water solution but if you did not get every single bit up it appeared streaky.

We bought a microfiber cloth mop for our new engineered hardwood floor yesterday. It claims you can clean windows with it so I hope I can wipe down the skylights with it too. I am waiting for the kitchen cabinets to be installed today to test out the new mop and will try to remember to reply with the results. We have four furry shedding pets and a dusty wood stove for heat and remodel construction dust to boot, and the new floor is nearly black, so we expect everything to show - this will test the microfiber cloth I think! We are happy with the microfiber cloths we use for eyeglass and camera lens cleaning, so in theory it should work well.

We also bought a hardwood/engineered hardwood floor cleaner to actually clean the floor with. You may try looking for a cleaner specifically for laminated floors.

Old 12-05-07, 03:09 AM
W
feedback

Hi Logcabincook how did you get on with cleaning your laminated floor?

P.s I am definately getting one of those flat mops they looked wicked, I hope I can get one you can use on blinds as well as my boyfriend's. At the moment, they are filthy.

Last edited by twelvepole; 12-05-07 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Words should be spelled out rather than abbreviated.