Feedback about mold removal

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-07, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Feedback about mold removal

There is a product on the market called Concrobium. It appears new and is intended as Mold remediation. Has anyone have experience using this product? It is non-bleach which is good but as with all new things, there may not be much of a set of "true" testimonials out there.

Thanks in advance,

Al

Old 10-30-07, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 45 Posts
Al,

I would suggest that giving testimonials any weight when deciding on a purchase is opening yourself to being duped by either outright deceit or at best by people who themselves have not fully researched the product.

If you were to look at the MSDS for Concrobium you would see that it is 95% Sodium Carbonate which is simple washing soda.

Here is a quote from Wikipedia with reference to Sodium Carbonate:
"When mixed with water and put in a spray bottle it's sold for its anti mold cleaning ability."

Not saying there is anything is wrong with Concrobium just that there may be a cheaper way of doing the same thing.

Old 10-31-07, 05:21 AM
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
Al,

I would suggest that giving testimonials any weight when deciding on a purchase is opening yourself to being duped by either outright deceit or at best by people who themselves have not fully researched the product.
And that is why I put the questions out there on forums such as these. Testimonials are weighted against facts and supporting data. I was merely pointing out that the product appeared new from the lack of feedback and testimonials.

If you were to look at the MSDS for Concrobium you would see that it is 95% Sodium Carbonate which is simple washing soda.
I DID see that! In fact, looking further it seems that "soda blasting" is a form or mold remdiation as a hired service.

Not saying there is anything is wrong with Concrobium just that there may be a cheaper way of doing the same thing.
I agree. Do you have an example?

Old 10-31-07, 07:04 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Bleach and water is the cheap (and very effective) alternative.

Old 10-31-07, 12:58 PM
MSDS for Concrobium

It's actually less than 1%

From the MSDS page:
Active Ingredient: Sodium Carbonate 0.95% w/w

But there's some other voodoo going on with their "proprietary" ingredients. Either way, I'll try the old-fashioned stuff in the form of washing soda, Borax, Peroxide etc. I think Chlorine bleach while being in the "old-fashioned" category is a little harsh to be using indoors, especially in a basement with limited ventilation and living space above.

Old 10-31-07, 09:44 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
10% bleach to water solution is fine for killing mold and mildew and doesn't have much respiratory irritating ability, especially if you have any ventilation at all.

Old 10-31-07, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator
Yes, it is less than 1%............my mistake.
Best I can tell is that the balance of the product is water.

A cheaper way would be to add a couple of tablespoons of Borax to a gallon of water.

Old 11-01-07, 05:56 AM
Yes, it is less than 1%............my mistake.
Best I can tell is that the balance of the product is water.

A cheaper way would be to add a couple of tablespoons of Borax to a gallon of water.
Do you prefer Borax to Washing Soda? My goal is (hopefully) to eradicate the mold hoping that it is not too deep into the sub-floor. I mean, there's no mushroom like things growing on there (I've seen some pretty nasty example pictures of that) but I hope to kill it from the root of the growth.

Old 11-01-07, 02:05 PM
T
Mold is usually a sign of moisture issues and poor ventilation. Are you saying you have a wood subfloor over a concrete basement floor?

Many tend to recommend Borax laundry detergent as a natural mold remover. The washing soda is also effective. Do not rinse after spraying on surfaces.

If moisture, humidity, ventilation issues are not addressed, the mold will return.

Old 06-01-09, 11:37 AM
Concrobium

We contacted a professional company and they recommended Concrobium. They stated by using bleach, after the chemical break-down, it serves to feed the mold and will come back even heavier. I'm going to give this a try on the mold that has appeared on the inside of the poured foundation of our attached garage. The inside walls do not have any mold .. only the outside walls.

I picked some up at Home Depot today on my lunch hour .. $8.96 for a 32 oz bottle.

Old 06-01-09, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
Again, Concrobium is just sodium carbonate or washing soda.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: