Help!!!!! (Red soda stain on carpet)

Old 11-10-07, 11:20 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help!!!!! (Red soda stain on carpet)

Seriously, sometime last night I got pop on my sister's carpet. Now there's this red dot on her creamy beige carpet and I need to get it cleaned up. What do I do?

Old 11-10-07, 11:25 AM
T
Stains are best attended to while fresh. Now that the red soda stain has dried, it is a challenge to remove the red dye. There are products available like Red Out, Wine Out, and others that are touted to remove red drink stains. You might try blotting with rubbing alcohol, denatured alcohol, or dry cleaning fluid. Use a white rag and blot from outside toward middle of stain to prevent spreading. Apply cleaner to rag. Do not pour into carpet. If in doubt, call a professional carpet cleaner.

Old 11-10-07, 11:27 AM
N
is it a problem that I already tried awesome and some liquid oxy cleaner that was really meant for laundry? I feel like an idiot.

Old 11-10-07, 11:30 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Yes, the products you already tried may have made the problem worse. Use clean water to rinse the chemicals out of the carpet before trying anything else.

Old 11-10-07, 11:55 AM
N
Unhappy

thanks for trying to help. All I had that was listed was the rubbing alcohol and it's not coming up. Yes I used water to rise the spot out before using the alcohol but it's not working.

Old 11-10-07, 12:02 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Only hope left is a red remover from a janitorial supply store.

Old 11-10-07, 12:03 PM
N
Unhappy

I can't get that, so my butt is good as kicked.

Old 11-13-07, 06:30 AM
be honest with your sister and let her make the call...red relief is a great dye remover....used it many times..including monday on a strawberry drink that had dyes...no problems

Old 11-24-07, 09:00 AM
A
A carpet cleaning company once gave me a tip for stains, maybe it will work. Use a solution of 1/2 vinegar & 1/2 club soda and saturate the stained area. Let it sit for several hours, blot with a dye-free towel and then use a shop vac to suck up the water. Most of the stain should come up with the vacuum. If it doesn't, apply the solution again and cover it with baking soda. Leave it sit for a few hours. The baking soda is supposed to absorb the stain and the water. Don't rub or scrub back and forth, that causes the carpet to pill and make the stained area more obvious.

You may have to try several applications, but this should work-I've had some pretty bad pet stains (on off white carpet) that are usually impossible to get out and this removed the stains. I've also discovered adding a few drops of dawn dishwashing liquid to the solution will help with grease stains. Good luck, and I hope this works for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: