Awlful odor in house from DEAD Frig

Old 11-27-07, 10:50 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Awlful odor in house from DEAD Frig

Help! We came home from weeklong vacation to discover the frig had DIED! The frig is gone now, but the house still reeks. I've been burning candles for 2 days with minimal success. Anyone have better ideas? Thanks....Bonnie

Old 11-27-07, 01:23 PM
R
What did the area look like around and under the fridge? If something leaked, it may have got down below the flooring.
Shut down the furnace by lowering the thermostat and let the whole house air out and open all windows and open all doors leading to all rooms. Do this for an hour and then secure your windows and turn up the thermostat.
If this does not improve things, try posting your question in the Appliances -Electric forum.

Old 11-27-07, 03:26 PM
C
Thanks, rjordan, for advice. Stuff did leak out of the refrigerator, but the kitchen floor is ceramic tile on a slab. I scrubbed the floor well with bleach solution, so much that it bleached the grout and now it looks funny compared to the rest of the floor. I bought a product today called "Clear Air". It is an order absorbing gel in a large plastic container. Maybe this will work.

Old 11-27-07, 03:34 PM
charcoal will help buy a bag and crush it up , spread it around so you get the most surface area

also plates of vinegar , again many shallow containers , you need surface area

Old 11-27-07, 03:55 PM
C
I've got vinegar, but no charcoal handy. I'll put the bowls out tonight. Thanks

Old 12-01-07, 12:59 AM
You can by carbon filters for hvac and duct work. Putting these into your duct work would also help reduce odors. My guess would be the odors have found there way into anything near by that may be porous..ie: carpet, furniture, drapes etc. Sniff these areas and see....

Old 12-03-07, 08:11 AM
C
Well, house is OK, now. We came back from the weekend and the bad smell was finally gone. Thanks for all the suggestions. It seems the burning of candles and the jar of ordor absorbing gel worked. I have heard much about charcoal's ability to eliminate ordors, so we're going to put it in our RV over the next two months while it's in storage....Bonnie

Old 12-05-07, 08:33 AM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The charcoal used for odor absorption is activated charcoal for aquariums, not the kind for the charcoal grill. This is available at pet stores.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: