Ink Stains on Microfiber couch

Old 12-14-07, 11:55 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ink Stains on Microfiber couch

My dog chewed a gel pen on my brand new microfiber couch. I now have black ink all over my couch cushions. I have the protection, but guess what? It doesn't cover ink. But before I found that out, I had to contact them. Their instructions state not to treat the stain except to blot it. So I have a two week old ink stain, that I just now found out they won't do anything to fix. The couch was a present from my father-in-law, and I don't want him to hate me already! Any help, please?!?! Oh,they are Emerald Home Furnishing couches. The cushions are Resin Treated Polyester Fiber batting.

Old 12-14-07, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 159 Votes on 126 Posts
Warranties just cover natural wear and tear (goes before time) or stains from dye runs, etc. Spilled ink was obviously owner error and that's why it's not covered. There's only two things I can suggest to use and one would be rubbing alcohol or an upholstery cleaner. You could also try sending it out and having a professional try and get it out, but waiting 2 weeks may have set the stain. The batting is the insides and nothing can remove that. You may have to have it recovered in which case trying the above won't hurt.

Old 12-14-07, 02:28 PM
S
You could try being helpful...

Actually, we purchased additional Guardsman furniture protection that covers almost all spills and stains. Ink is one of the few items not covered. So before you decide to be rude, please try and make sure that you know your facts first. I clearly stated PROTECTION not warranty for a reason. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. Your time is appreciated even if your attitude was not.

Old 12-14-07, 07:49 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Rubbing alcohol on a clean white rag, blotting from the outside of the stain toward the center to prevent spreading.

Old 12-15-07, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 159 Votes on 126 Posts
I've re-read my reply to you several times and I'm not seeing where I was rude, so if I came across like that, it wasn't intentional. Warranties and protection plans usually just cover the wear and tear type things and often don't cover things that people do to them, even if it was accidental.
There's a good chance that the ink will not come out so the only option would be to have it recovered, in which case trying the alcohol and upholstery cleaner will not hurt.

Old 12-18-07, 06:40 AM
trying rubbing alcohol blotted outside-inward may help. Ink usually would set even with time i have noticed. But of course the more time that passes the harder it will be to remove. A good solvent may remove it. If this is a large area that we are talking about consider having it professional cleaned vs the cost of recovering. If you DIY clean..check under the cushions or on the backside for a test panel of the material-to test your attempt. Serveral good solvents other than rubbing alcohol-which i still suggest you try first.. would be pro solve gel and power get. You can do a web search and check for your self. Both of these products i have used my self with excellent results. The main problem with ink is when you are trying to clean it it tends to spread...so applying the solvent around the edges of the ink will help keep it contained. Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: