dried glue on Corian counter top

Old 12-15-07, 08:22 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dried glue on Corian counter top

I originally thought it was egg white and tried a vinegar/water solution but it didn't budge. No one fesses up but I now believe it to be some sort of glue. Just a few drippings but noticeable. Would acetone help without hurting the Corian? I'm trying to avoid sanding so if someone knows what may work I'd appreciate it. thanks....

Old 12-15-07, 12:31 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I'd try to soften it with a hair dryer first and see if you can peel it off.

Old 12-16-07, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 134 Posts
Don't know if this will work, but maybe try using a little WD-40 on it. Might soften it a bit so you can scrape it off.

Old 12-16-07, 08:10 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I'd be comfortable with WD40 as a solvent, but I don't know about whether anything more harsh would harm the counter. Had an adhesive removal problem at the office a few years ago and WD40 outperformed mineral spirits and Goo Gone.

Old 12-17-07, 02:05 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT use acetone on a Corian countertop for anything unless you want pits eaten into it. WD40 will make it slick & shiny, but that's about all. The only safe solvent to use is denatured alcohol. If that doesn't dissolve the glue then you will need to abrade it with something. Try using a green Scotch Bright pad with BonAmi powder. Wet the pad, sprinkle some Bon Ami on, then rub in a circular motion. This will not harm the Corian, but it will change the appearance to dull. Remember, it's only the surface. If that doesn't remove it, get a piece of #400 Wet Or Dry sandpaper. Wet with water and sand in a circular motion to remove the glue. Then go over it with the
Scotch Bright & Bon Ami, then a red Scotch Bright pad.
These are available at any auto parts store as a #7447. You probably are not going to be able to completely restore the color & finish without a random orbit sander, so if you're afraid to try it, call a Corian fabricator. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: