clean carpet

Old 01-16-08, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
clean carpet

My son dropped a protein shake on our carpet and didn't clean it rite up. So now the carpet is very stiff, tried cleaning with water, resolve , but nothing seemed to work. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-08, 02:04 PM
T
First, you need to get the cleaning residues out of the carpet. Use cool, plain water and vinegar. 1 cup vinegar/1 gallon water. Blot with white rag from outside stain toward middle to prevent spreading. Continue to blot until area is thoroughly rinsed.

Protein shakes contain protein enzymes. An enzyme digester cleaner is required. These are marketed under different names, such as Out, OdoBan, Nature's Miracle and others. The trick to using enzymes is to blot the affected area and continue to do so in order to keep the area damp and to give enzymes time to digest the protein enzymes.

If the shake penetrated the carpet and into the cushion below, it will have spread not only downward, but outward several times the size of the surface spill. The spill will continue to wick it's way upward through the carpet and continue to surface as a protein stain. In this event, it may be necessary to pull back the carpet, remove the affected area of cushion, clean the floor below and carpet backing with enzyme cleaner. When dry, install new cushion, and reinstall carpet. If in doubt, contact a professional carpet cleaner.

Old 01-16-08, 07:09 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
The bad news is that the Resolve may have permanently set the stain. Other than that, twelvepole's right on.

Old 01-16-08, 07:36 PM
T
My aged parents moved into a new home, did the major kitchen/bath remodels and new floor coverings. Within months of the remodel and off the farm where we lived for so many years with the 6 rooms and a path and no running water, my father died of CA. He had colon CA and came home from the hospital for a spell with a feeding tube which dripped down the hall. Mom got out the Resolve to clean up the drips and it removed the unstable carpert dye. They ended up with white drip marks down the hall in the carpet. You must have a carpet with a stable dye as you have not suffered color loss.

Always test any cleaning products in inconspicuous place first for ill effects on dyes and fibers. Again, remove cleaning solution residues before proceeding. Not all carpet fibers and dye methods are created equal.

Acknowledging stain type and recommended removal method is preferred. This is important for recovering of carpet and removal of stain. If staining solution penetrates carpet cushion, then that presents another problem.

Old 01-17-08, 03:00 PM
There is really no stain, but the carpet fibers are stiff, or hard. So I'll try the vinegar and water to see what happens.

Old 01-17-08, 03:32 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Yeah, that sounds good. I like to extract with the shop vac when I do something like this.

Old 01-22-08, 10:10 PM
vinegar and water...extract...then use weighed towels to remove excess moisture

resolve contains oxidizing bleaches...addes oxygen to the area to help remove color....but sometimes it doesnt stop there it continues working on the dyes in the carpet