Repairing etched marble

Old 02-14-08, 10:13 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing etched marble

I recently used an improper, highly acidic, bathroom cleaner on a marble countertop that has left it badly etched. I have already employed a 3 stage marble repair kit and enlisted the help of a non-orbital sander in place of the hand scrubber provided, with marginal results. (The kit had two different white nylon "mesh" type pads and a buffing towel that I was able to attach to the velcro-like surface of a hand sander to help speed up the process.) After applying the final polishing solution from the kit I then added another layer of automotive wax. From just the right angle the countertop appears to have a nice glossy finish, but from every other angle the spray marks from the cleaner are clearly visible.

The area in question is a small countertop that surrounds a bathroom sink that I installed. The total area is small and therefore it's just not worth it to me to hire a contractor. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-14-08, 10:39 PM
the only thing i can think of would be to try sanding with finer and finer grits and then repolishing. Think about the cost of the counter + reinstall of new...vs your current costs you have in it so far.

Old 02-15-08, 08:38 AM
A
Docduck - Thanks for the reply, could you provide any more specifics? What grit of paper and what type? Polish how and with what? Are there any special tools or brands that are recommended or that others have had success with? Thanks much!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: