mildew around toilet water line

Old 03-13-08, 11:35 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mildew around toilet water line

My friend wants to know:

Our toilets get mildew around the water edge at LEAST once a week. We use them frequently too. We cant use the little toilet tablet things because the guest bathroom is small and I can tell the smell irritates DD, and in the master we have a toilet room, so the smell of the tablet is enough to knock you out. Anyway, this ring is really nasty and makes the toilets look dirty, even though they arent.

1. Can I pour bleach in it? Will that make it stop?

2. Anyone know why it's happeneing or how to prevent it?

3. Any suggestions on what to use (beside those tablets) to make the mildew go away? No matter how often I clean it seems like it's back in a matter of days.

Old 03-13-08, 12:00 PM
T
There are many toilet bowl cleaners available, including chlorine-based ones. Toilet bowl should be cleaned and disinfected at least once a week, taking care to thoroughly brush underneath the rim to prevent mold, mildew, and mineral deposits.

The mildew ring can be a result of a combination of factors--room temperature, frequency of use and cleaning, as well as lighting and ventilation in the room. Mold and mildew spores are everywhere in the air. When they find a damp, poorly ventilated and lighted area, where there is a food source, they tend to settle in. Running fan vent during bathing/showering and at least 20 minutes afterwards to exhaust humidity is recommended.

Old 03-17-08, 12:50 AM
You can pour bleach in the bowl and let sit..BY ITSELF..do not mix bleach with anything and let sit until next use then flush first...should work

Old 03-17-08, 07:25 AM
T
I forgot to mention that it is best to begin with the mildest and safest cleaning method. Homeowners are becoming more aware of the impact of household chemicals on air quality in the home and environmental impact.

Toilet can easily be kept clean and mineral deposits under control by using a cup of vinegar. Vinegar/water solution can be used to safely clean all bathroom surfaces. Not only safer, vinegar is far less expensive than the commercial products in the cleaning aisles.

Old 03-17-08, 07:51 AM
Talking Toilet cleaning

If you have little boys around then cleaning your toilets every day is a must, otherwise the toilet will be left with a lasting smell and stains too.
If you are not very conscientious about cleaning your toilets with kids around then the bathroom will have a very bad smell.

Good luck to all those hard working mothers out there.

Old 03-17-08, 07:56 AM
T
Thanks for the reminder about little boys and urine odor in bathrooms. Don't forget the big boys!

Sealing the gap between toilet and floor covering with silicone caulk tends to help keep the urine out of the gap beneath toilet where urine settles and odor causing bacteria harbor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: