Mold and Mildew on the inside of drywall

Old 06-21-08, 11:13 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mold and Mildew on the inside of drywall

I had a water leak inside one of my kitchen walls, and had to rip out some drywall. It is wet, smells, and IS moldy and mildewy. A buddy of mine came and looked at it, and told me to let it dry for a few days and then spray it with a 50-50 solution of bleach/water. My question to you guys is: Do I have to let it dry before I spray it? I am a first time user on the site, and any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks, KLMAC

Old 06-21-08, 11:19 AM
T
Open up the affected walls and remove wet insulation. Treat areas with mold/mildew with bleach/water solution. Run dehumidifiers and fans to expedite drying. Once dry, if leak has been repaired, install new insulation as required, replace drywall.

Old 06-21-08, 11:35 AM
K
Twelvepeople,
Thank you for the advice. It is open and all of the insulation is out. Behind the wall is concrete, my bathtub and whirlpool pump. The other wall is my laundry room. I left a piece of drywall up that is damp on the inside but dry on the outside (in the laundry room). Is it ok to go ahead and spray that? KLMAC

Old 06-21-08, 11:43 AM
K
Sorry twelvepole; How did I get people out of Pole?

Old 06-21-08, 12:09 PM
T
You can access exterior of dry wall to disinfect, but not inside the wall void. Get some fans and dehumidifiers going.

Old 06-22-08, 11:39 AM
Well if it is past the 48-72 hour mark for the drywall being damp...you are running the risk of mold. I would replace...also look at baseboard areas. Dont just spray it and put it back up. With just a little bit of moisture it can continue to grow.

In that area i would replace drywall with green board..much more moisture resistant

Old 06-08-09, 11:35 PM
A
Thumbs down

Mold in your home is not only aesthetically distasteful and foul smelling, it is also bad for your health and the health of your family. Black mold is particularly dangerous, and in some extreme cases it has led to fatalities. Mold grows in moist environments and is common is homes with leaky basements or roofs, as well as homes that have experienced flood damage.

Source :
Value Dry Expert

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: