Mold and Mildew on the inside of drywall

Reply

  #1  
Old 06-21-08, 11:13 AM
K
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mold and Mildew on the inside of drywall

I had a water leak inside one of my kitchen walls, and had to rip out some drywall. It is wet, smells, and IS moldy and mildewy. A buddy of mine came and looked at it, and told me to let it dry for a few days and then spray it with a 50-50 solution of bleach/water. My question to you guys is: Do I have to let it dry before I spray it? I am a first time user on the site, and any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks, KLMAC
 
  #2  
Old 06-21-08, 11:19 AM
T
Member
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 15,817
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Open up the affected walls and remove wet insulation. Treat areas with mold/mildew with bleach/water solution. Run dehumidifiers and fans to expedite drying. Once dry, if leak has been repaired, install new insulation as required, replace drywall.
 
  #3  
Old 06-21-08, 11:35 AM
K
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Twelvepeople,
Thank you for the advice. It is open and all of the insulation is out. Behind the wall is concrete, my bathtub and whirlpool pump. The other wall is my laundry room. I left a piece of drywall up that is damp on the inside but dry on the outside (in the laundry room). Is it ok to go ahead and spray that? KLMAC
 
  #4  
Old 06-21-08, 11:43 AM
K
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry twelvepole; How did I get people out of Pole?
 
  #5  
Old 06-21-08, 12:09 PM
T
Member
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 15,817
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can access exterior of dry wall to disinfect, but not inside the wall void. Get some fans and dehumidifiers going.
 
  #6  
Old 06-22-08, 11:39 AM
Docduck's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Western PA
Posts: 1,453
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well if it is past the 48-72 hour mark for the drywall being damp...you are running the risk of mold. I would replace...also look at baseboard areas. Dont just spray it and put it back up. With just a little bit of moisture it can continue to grow.

In that area i would replace drywall with green board..much more moisture resistant
 
  #7  
Old 06-08-09, 11:35 PM
A
Member
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 10
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Mold in your home is not only aesthetically distasteful and foul smelling, it is also bad for your health and the health of your family. Black mold is particularly dangerous, and in some extreme cases it has led to fatalities. Mold grows in moist environments and is common is homes with leaky basements or roofs, as well as homes that have experienced flood damage.

Source :
Value Dry Expert
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: