What is the best thing to clean windows and the metal and wooden edges?

Old 06-21-08, 04:49 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is the best thing to clean windows and the metal and wooden edges?

Im concerned about getting the wood and paintwork wet when i clean the edges of windows. Im worried about water running down into the wood,stucko, painted walls,etc. when i clean the glass.

This is what im intending to clean.

Old 06-21-08, 06:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 426 Votes on 381 Posts
The metal frame should be caulked to the wood or drywall. But it isn't like you are going to flood it with a water hose. A spray bottle should work fine, just don't let a lot of liquid set on the window sill.

I'm not sure how well the painted areas will clean up - touch up painting may be needed.

Old 06-27-08, 07:34 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You also need to address humidity levels inside the home. When warm, humid air makes contact with cold glass on windows, condensation forms and runs down to sills and along window frames. When surfaces remain damp, the mold and mildew spores which are everywhere in the air, will tend to settle in and grow.

Pick up a hygrometer where thermometers are sold and monitor household humidity and maintain at 35-55% year round. Run fans to improve air circulation and keep curtains open so air can circulate in window area. Keep mold/mildew prone areas disinfected.

Run rangehood ventilation during and after cooking for at least 20 minutes to exhaust humidity. Same for bathing/showering. Laundry rooms are also a great source of humidity. Running exhaust fans to exhaust humidity to outdoors is very important. Recirculating fans do nothing to remove humidity, they just recirculate it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: