HELP! Red clay stains on concrete

Old 07-12-08, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HELP! Red clay stains on concrete

I have a recently poured concrete patio and sidewalk (within last 2 months) and have red clay stains all over them. I tried to clean them with dishwashing liquid, a degreaser, and bleach. After scrubbing with each of these, I used a 2600 PSI pressure washer. The big stuff came off, but there is alot or clay coloration in the concrete. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could use to get this off?

Thanks, Ray

Old 07-12-08, 08:32 PM
T
A rust remover is effective for removing red clay stains. Rust removers contain oxalic acid, a bleach. You can purchase oxalic acid or cleaners containing oxalic acid. Whink is one product that comes to mind. Behr Concrete and Masonry Cleaner comes to mind as does Krud Cutter Red Clay Stain Remove. Wet concrete. Apply cleaner and give time to bleach red clay out of pores of concrete. Additional applications may be necessary. Keep concrete wet with cleaner. Cleaner can be used in pressure washer. If purchasing a concrete cleaner, check label to see if it is supposed to be effective on red clay.

Once concrete is clean and dry, apply a couple coats of penetrating concrete sealer. To seal out soil and minimize staining. Keep concrete sealed.

Old 07-13-08, 09:24 AM
That would be my thoughts too..the clay contains iron..so a rust remover should help out.. Definately would seal it as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: