Rough Fabric after Cleaning - Microfiber Love Seat

Old 08-07-08, 01:45 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Rough Fabric after Cleaning - Microfiber Love Seat

I recently cleaned my microfiber love seat in an effort to get a cat urine smell out of the couch. I think I wet it way too much and then I lightly scrubbed it with a dish brush. I then lightly scrubbed baking soda into the couch. Upon drying the fabric was very hard and I used a soft brush which helped soften the fabric a little. However, the fabric isn't nearly as soft as my matching microfiber sofa of the same material. Is it ruined? What can I do to get that soft microfiber feel back? Is the baking soda dried into the fabric and that is causing it to be rough? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and my couch is allowed to be cleaned with water. No water stains or anything, just rough fabric.

Old 08-07-08, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 308 Votes on 244 Posts
I don't know too much about microfiber, but a few suggestions. There may be some baking powder residue left, so try vacuuming it with the brush attachment.
If you live in a hard water area, try dabbing it with some distilled water, which will remove the hard water residue.
If you have a steamer, or an iron with a shot of steam, try steaming it (but don't actually touch with an iron or get too close).

Old 08-07-08, 08:07 PM
sounds like residue is left in the fabric..vaccum it well and then go back over it with just plain cool water...a good test for residue would be to wet an area and just rub it with your fingers to see if you get any foam or soap feeling

Old 08-08-08, 05:49 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,166 Votes on 1,124 Posts
Rough feel almost always means something was left behind. You make no mention of extracting your cleaning materials back out of the love seat - I like to clean the stain, spray with water, extract with a wet vac, spray with water again and extract one more time. Rarely is there anything left behind this way.

Old 08-08-08, 10:18 PM
C
Thank you for all of your responses. I bought a steam cleaner and tried to extract the baking soda. It worked very well and made the love seat much softer. I went over it a second time and am waiting for it to dry. It was definitely the baking soda dried in there. I'm just hoping I can get it back to the way it was. I'll probably just keep cleaning it over and over again till I get all the baking soda out. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: