Help New Granite Countertop Owner

Old 11-09-08, 09:48 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help New Granite Countertop Owner

Just got a new granite countertop installed (Tan Brown--so fairly dark color). I went with a pretty "no service" installer so I need help with sealing and maintaining the countertop.

PLEASE share your experiences with daily maintenance and yearly sealing---and include Brand names please!!!! I want to care for it properly.

All I have gotten so far from searching the internet is "Don't use acid or Windex". So what DO I use?

Old 11-11-08, 12:31 AM
Guide to Care and Cleaning Kitchen Countertops | DoItYourself.com

Check out some tips here...there are many cleaners and sealers out there...i personally dont have a granite countertop so i do not have a preference

Old 11-13-08, 12:55 PM
A
OK, so we can't do Brand names. How about ingredients I should look for in these products?

Didn't see that in the Care Guide you referred to---yes, I did read it before I posted.

Old 11-13-08, 01:55 PM
T
Use products for cleaning and sealing that are labeled safe for natural stone. There are many popular brand names of natural stone care and maintenance products that can be found with a Google search. Stone Care International, Aqua Mix, and others are among popular brands.

Old 11-17-08, 05:39 PM
A
We had our granite countertop installed about 6 years ago and we don't have any complaints. I ran across this site when looking for info on cleaning of granite to remove stains, etc. There is a video that has some great tips on how to get it cleaned up with typical household items - no brand names needed! Good info for anyone who owns or is considering a granite countertop. Countertops Guide - Granite Countertops Guide - compare colors, prices, benefits and drawbacks of granite

Old 11-21-08, 04:29 PM
M
I have medium color granite for 3 years now, still looks like new. I have used several different brands of granite cleaner, doesn't seem to matter. I do try to seal it once per year, but all the products seem to work about the same. It is extremely durable, and I don't seem to notice a difference in whether it was sealed last week or 6 months ago. Just be careful about leaving food particles or dirty dishrag on the counter, it picks up smells easily!! The smell does go away in a few days, but it is funny how the smell can get into them. My pattern is so strong, I cannot seem to see small splashes of food, so I wipe it down much more often than laminate, but overall much more durable. I still love it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: