fiberglass tub cleaning in new construction

Old 12-25-08, 10:13 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fiberglass tub cleaning in new construction

Hey,

Our 3 brand new fiberglass tubs and showers cleaned pretty well with just bleachy water, but the tub and shower floors are a "slip grip finish" and they are hard to clean well. They have been sitting in filth for 4 months now (sawdust, sheetrock dust, and everything else encountered in home building).

I understand elbow grease is necessary but what are the best products and techniques to use?

Also, all the tubs have very small specs of rust stains too from metal shavings left over 4 months in the tub (no doubt from the plumber).

Any suggestions for removing those hard stains?

Old 12-25-08, 12:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your contractor should be providing you with clean tubs with rust spots. Have himsend a proffesional cleaner out to do the job.

Old 12-25-08, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Well, presuming this may be self construction (if not see last post).....

I've had good luck on those kind of showers/tubs by using something like KrudKutter or Simple Green, full or half strength, spray and let sit a while, then use a nylon semi-stiff bristle brush to scrub in a circular motion to get into the crevices.

I've seen a recommedation of making a paste of something like ZUD or Comet and letting it sit on rust stains, then rinsing away.

CLR might also be effective.

Next step would be something like "All Rust Remover" by CBI or "Metal Prep" from various makers. Available at Hardware, Autoparts, and Home Center Stores. Both contain phosphoric acid, use caution and test all exposed surfaces.

DO NOT MIX any of the above items.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: