smoke odor in car

Old 02-23-09, 11:07 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
smoke odor in car

I also posted this in the auto repair forum, but how do you get the smell of old cigarette smoke out of a car (cloth interior)? Any tricks? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-09, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 81 Posts
Have you tried Fabreeze or Glade Fabric Refresher? They work pretty well, altho you may have to spray daily for a few days till it goes away.
It's probably in the carpeting too, so spray that well and sprinkle some baking soda on it before you vacuum which helps too.
Other than that, I don't think there's any magic fix.

Old 02-23-09, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
There used to be a product....aaahhhhkkk...I just had it in my head....Smoke Ban? Smoker Spray? It was a small bottle...like a hair spray pump bottle.

Well they used to sell it at Wally World and Autoparts stores..and it worked like a champ. I used it when I came back from breaks to take the smell off my clothes.

Back in the day Ozium (sp?) spray was popular for those who imbibed in a certain fragrant smoking item.

If the other thing decides to reappear in my brain...I'll post it.

Old 02-23-09, 12:57 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Steam clean the carpet and the seats. Then place a Ozone generator in the car with the windows up and the fan running for a couple of hours. ( Don't be in the car with the Ozone)

Old 02-23-09, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator
Then place a Ozone generator in the car with the windows up
And do you really think this is a common item in most homes? I think they're looking for some practical advice.

Old 02-23-09, 06:32 PM
Very practical! Restoration company's use them every day to remove smoke smell from fire damaged buildings. Should be able to rent one very cheap!

Old 02-23-09, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
restoration companies due use ozone generators...but renting one (a decent one) is not going to be that inexpensive

I would clean all fabric material in the car...and pretty much the entire interior

they do sell odor neutralizing cleaners..just do a net search...smoke is going to be hard to get rid of....its in the air duct work

when in doubt have a professional cleaner take a look at it..may be more practical money wise..then trying half a dozen things

Old 02-24-09, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
Starting at about $120 for the cheapest one (which may not do a good job), I hardly call that cheap or practical! But that's JMO.

Old 02-25-09, 09:51 AM
Ozone is ozone it will remove the odor! I found them for under $75 a day. It will cost more to have the upholstery cleaned.