stains on formica

Old 04-09-09, 03:01 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
stains on formica

I have really old counters in my apartment. I think they're formica but I'm not sure. Anyway, they have a big circle burned into them from putting a hot pot down on it. Is there anything I can do to get rid of this dark ring on the counter?

Old 04-09-09, 10:40 PM
its burned and damage so i would say it is what it is

Old 04-10-09, 06:03 AM
N
Unfortunately laminate countertops cannot be repaired like other countertop products such as solid surfacing.

Laminate countertops contain a top melamine layer that protects the countertops from everyday use and scratches. Most likely you've burned through this top layer. Using abrasive scrubs will only destroy the countertop further by taking off the decorative paper layer underneath the melamine layer.

My recommendations: Either replace your countertops-- Both Lowe’s and Home Depot offer laminate countertops at reasonable prices. Or you can integrate a cover-up into your design. An easy way to do this is to purchase a glass cutting board (non-translucent) and permanently glue the cutting board to the surface of your countertop. I would also use clear silicone around the edge to seal from germs etc. This would help protect your countertop surface from other hot pots in the future.

Old 04-12-09, 04:01 AM
K
counter tops

I think you're right that there's nothing I can do about this other than cover it up or change the counter tops. Since I'm in an apartment, I don't want to spend the money to put new ones in.

Thanks both of you for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: